Chapter 11: In search of the Poisoner

9th September 1560

Abingdon 

Katherine looked round in desperation but the three figures were close upon her. Any moment now Henry would look up from the conversation and see her. All would be lost. If she turned sharply she would certainly draw attention to herself.   Katherine's mouth felt dry for she knew Henry would recognise her and then dreaded what may happen next.  If Dudley had already heard she was spreading rumours about him he could have her arrested. This he could do on a whim, let alone with the knowledge she was openly accusing him of arranging Amy's murder.  Suddenly, there was a shrill cry.  The three men stopped mid-pace and looked over to the noise in surprise. Katherine saw her chance and slipped by the third man, as they all looked over at the commotion gathering on the other side of the street.  With the men behind her she ran swiftly towards the tower of St Nicolas, desperate to get out of this dangerous situation. She took a quick look back and she could see a crowd gathered around someone who must have fallen in the street. Henry was already crossing the road to assist, although Katherine noted that Thomas Blount seemed content to stand back.

Finally, they were out of view and she was free.  She slowed, gasping for breath and felt chilled to her bones. She spotted the rested horse but was concerned to see that Mary Grays was nowhere to be seen.  The sun was already setting, peeping through the grey clouds and creating a burnt orange contrast. Twilight was fast approaching.   Where could she be?

As she waited, Katherine had time to reflect on the day.  In some ways, she felt she had achieved nothing but Talbot had given her a new lead. If she could prove Robert had tried to kill Amy before then he would not be able to sweep the inquest into her death under the carpet. In the meantime, Katherine would continue spreading the rumours. She had no doubt Mary Grays had been helping her with this today. It should spread like wildfire. For if William the butcher told five people and they each told five people, before September was out Dudley would be marked as a murderer who no man would serve under. She knew she had a little time for Dudley would have to go into a period of mourning and Elizabeth could not marry him hastily unless she wanted to topple herself from the throne.  So while those two played a waiting game, she would undermine their plan.

 Just then Katherine was glad to see dear Mary hobbling up the road, hurrying towards the horse.  She went to greet her, feeling protective towards the old lady.

"Mistress Grays," she said. "I am so glad to see you!  Are you well?  I am worried we have been out far too long today."  

Mary stood by her and caught her breath.  She smiled weakly.

"Well enough. Although I confess I'll be glad to see Sunningwell and be in front of a roaring fire." Katherine noticed her voice was raspy, worn by the day's activities. She had probably missed an afternoon nap as well.

"Then let us go to Sunningwell," said Katherine, taking her arm as they walked up to their mount.

"I just had a lucky escape," informed Katherine as she untethered the horse. "I nearly ran into Thomas Blount." She did not mention Henry as Mary knew him not.  She did not want to think of him anyway.  She did not want to admit to herself that she had been glad to feast her eyes upon him one last time.

"Yes," said Mary " I saw Thomas Blount, that's when I performed my little swoon for the crowds. " Katherine saw her smile at her subterfuge. A thought occurred to her, was Mary enjoying being part of this intrigue that Katherine had brought into her quiet life? She knew Mary had found the days long before, she had said as much on their visits. She had talked of the monotony of her days, so that Amy had promised to visit more often.

"That was you?" asked Katherine in wonder, turning to her. She was beginning to realise that she would not have gotten far at all without the assistance of Mary Grays.  She was not to be underestimated. Katherine helped her to mount the horse. Mary was so small and Katherine towered over her, lifting her easily.