Girl Power

What is girl power?

What is girl power?

It's not about what gender is better, that's for sure.

It's about the women who, despite their circumstances, struggle each day to fulfill their dreams, to achieve what other people, other women, haven't.

It's about giving it all, working hard, knocking down invisible social walls that surround us.

It's about being brave and taking the leap.

It's about believing in yourself.

Women empowerment is not a millennial thing. It's something that has been going on throughout history and is still strong. We're still fighting each day to break barriers, to do more, to plant that little seed that might grow into a tree and that can give fruit to many others.

Many examples come to mind, like Emma Watson or Shakira, but I wanted to talk to you about three women that have influenced throughout history, each with a different background and personality.

Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz

She was born in the 17th century in Mexico. Her need to learn more things led her to enter a convent since it was the only place where women could study at will.

She read all the time, and that love transformed into poems and plays. There is something funny about the fact that a nun wrote love poems, but it did happen, and she was good. However, that's not all she wrote about, her books and poems talk about the way women are strong and have the same right to education as men. Her characters are funny and clever, and she makes fun of men and women in equal amounts.

Now, let's remember that she lived in a Spanish colony, where not only was she not Spanish, but she was a woman, to make it worse. Despite it all, she kept publishing new stories, trying to raise awareness. There was one time when an archbishop admonished her for talking about mundane subjects without focusing more on theology, to which her answer was:  

"One can perfectly well philosophize while cooking supper."

I always smile at this.

She is part of the Mexican identity; her image appears on the Mexican currency and she is considered a baroque Latin American jewel.