Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Craig's body ached and he was bone tired. He stepped out of the barn after tending to his and Ezekiel's horses and stretched his arms over his head.

He was scratching at his stomach and wondering where the foreman had gotten off too when Chester approached him. "Hey there, Craig. It's our night off, you want to head into town with me since your guard dog is gone for the night?"

Gone? Where the hell had Ezekiel gone? "Where's he at?" Craig demanded.

Chester's eyes widened. "Hell, you sound mad! I figured you'd be happy to not have him breathing down your damn neck a while."

Craig forced a smile and shrugged. "I reckon it's like a critter freed from a cage that just stands around a minute—they don't know what to do with their newfound freedom."

Chester laughed and patted him on the back. "Well he's gone. Said something about being back tomorrow before he took my horse and rode off. So, critter, tonight you're free."

Craig felt unease in his gut. He needed to stay here. He needed to avoid town—and the trouble he always landed himself in when he was there. Those damn vices that kept dragging him down.

"Come on, Craig!" Chester encouraged. "Don't tell me you've forgotten how to have a good time! Let's go drink and gamble and maybe even find a pretty woman or two."

Craig found himself being led into the barn by the painfully skinny man. He knew he should say no... but the thought of some whiskey and cards sounded damn good. A night to unwind. Forget about all his confusion for awhile. Yeah, it sounded real good.

***

The next morning found Craig regretting his decision with all his might. His stomach ached, his head was pounding and he couldn't open his eyes more than a crack without feeling like the room was spinning out of control.

The night before was a blur and Craig couldn't remember half of it—he didn't remember renting this hotel room but he'd woken up alone in side of it with the lock engaged from the inside so apparently he had.

Most mornings, after a night of drinking and gambling, he woke up in the brothel.... So a hotel room was certainly a change of pace.

From what he could remember of the night before, (before everything went black), he'd lost a lot of money, drank far too much whiskey, and seemed to have lost all desire for partners with breasts and soft hands.

The saloon women had been eager to lure him from the tables—he'd always been easy to lure—but last night he hadn't been tempted. Not once.

He was broken. Broken by a giant colored man with dark eyes, calloused hands and a fondness for cuddling.

Jeb was never going to let him hear the end of this.

Craig knew he should get back out to the ranch before Ezekiel worried about him, but his head and stomach rebelled strongly at the thought of getting out of bed just yet. So, with a sigh, Craig pulled the blanket tight over his head and attempted to sleep off the pain.

***

Ezekiel was more tired than he'd remembered being in a long time. A long night of lovemaking, followed by a long day of driving a herd, followed by another sleepless night watching a fence line had Ezekiel feeling as if he'd been run over by a runaway wagon.

He stepped out of Edison's office after telling the boss that it seemed as if the holes were simply caused by wear and tear and glanced toward the bunkhouse.

It was still early but the ranch was already coming alive. Was Craig still asleep? Ezekiel wanted to see him. Hell he'd been near the man every day for weeks—he'd grown attached.

Edison had given him the next two nights off and Ezekiel knew how he'd like to spend them—but he was doubted that Craig would feel the same.

He glanced around the bunkhouse as he stepped inside and realized that Craig wasn't there. "Thompson?" he called to a man who was readying himself for work.

"Yeah?" Thompson replied, buttoning his vest.

"Where the hell is Craig?"

Thompson glanced toward Craig's empty cot and shrugged. "He wasn't here when I bedded down last night."

Ezekiel clenched his fists and strode from the bunkhouse. The only place Craig could be was in town. And if he'd gone to town last night it hadn't been for good reasons.

Ezekiel couldn't believe the lack of respect the man had for everyone else. Edison had given him a chance to straighten up. Ezekiel was on the hook for anything Craig did since he'd been put in charge of him... and still the man was drinking, gambling and whoring..... That last thought caused pain to twist in his gut, which he quickly pushed away.

He had no claim to Craig and if the man wanted to spend his time in brothels that was fine—but Ezekiel wasn't going to be responsible for it. He was going to make sure Craig knew he was washing his hands of him. He was going to be responsible for someone while they continued to insist on self-destructing.

Saddling a fresh horse in the barn, Ezekiel rushed off toward town, his temper good and riled.