7

It was Saturday night and Brooke and Jensen had plans to go out to dinner with Gen and Jared except the plans had been rudely disrupted when the boys had to go have an emergency meeting about script and plot changes for Supernatural. Jensen and Jared were skyping into the meeting and were currently in Jared's office.  Anyways, despite the plans for the dinner being cancelled, Brooke and Gen still decided to get together.

Gen just ordered pizza mostly because she didn't feel like cooking but also because Tom was asking nonstop for it and she finally gave in. Brooke wasn't complaining either. Pizza was a staple in any diet. Pizza deserves its own food group in Brooke's mind.

"I met Danneel the other night." Brooke said as they had began to clean up dishes. She grabbed a towel and helped to dry off the plates. "It didn't go the best that it could've."

"Danneel's a sweetheart but she has her ... moments." Gen said, trying to find the right words without sounding mean.

"Do you know why they ended up getting a divorce?" Brooke asked. "If you don't want to answer I understand but I was just wondering."

Gen nodded, taking a second to think. She of course knew the reasons why but she wasn't sure if Jensen wanted her to be the one to tell Brooke. She was in an awkward position but ultimately Brooke did deserve to know if she was going to have a future with Jensen.

"It's hard to sustain a relationship when he's gone a lot of the time. They just stopped communicating and everything crumbled apart. They hung on for a while because of JJ but the marriage was over months before they decided to get a divorce. It was a mutual decision. Some couples just don't have the strength to endure that kind of strain." Gen said.

Brooke fell quiet, taking in what Gen had just told her. She wanted to hear a different answer like that Danneel had cheated on him or something other than it was his tedious work schedule.

"Yeah, um, some couples just aren't built to last." Brooke answered quietly.

Brooke began to put the dishes back into the cabinet, not feeling like she wanted to talk anymore. After that she excused herself to the bathroom because she wanted to be alone for a few minutes. She hated how she always shut down. It reminded her of her parents. Her dad didn't give up his career and they just grew apart till they got divorced. She promised herself that she wouldn't let that happen to her. She never wanted to get divorced, especially if there are kids involved.

•••

"Hey, are you okay?" Jensen asked as they were driving home, "You seem quieter than usual."

Brooke cleared her throat, "I'm fine."

"I know you aren't fine. What's on your mind?"

"Do you see a future with me? Because for me, you aren't just a fling." Brooke asked.

"Where is this coming from?" He asked confused. He looked over at her, seeing her teared up eyes. "I do see a future with you."

"How do you expect this to last if nothing has changed?" She snapped.

"What do you mean?"

"It's all the same circumstances as when you were with Danneel and look at how that turned out!"

"It is hardly the same circumstances. You can't look at every situation and say it will turn out the same exact way. That's is horrible logic, Brooke." Jensen said annoyed and confused.

"Looking into the future, this isn't gonna work for me. I see you maybe three times a week and that's only at night. We can't have a stable relationship with our schedules." Brooke said raising her voice.

"It doesn't matter what is gonna happen down the road from now all that matters is what is happening now. For all we know, Supernatural will be canceled and this is will be the last season. There is no point in stressing over unknowns. We will cross those bridges when we come to them."

Brooke crossed her arms over her chest, "I need an end goal in sight so don't tell me not to look into the future. I need to know that I'm not wasting my time."

Jensen shook his head, his grip on the steering wheel becoming harder. His knuckles were turning white from how hard he was gripping the steering wheel.

"This is a pointless argument." Jensen said.

"I'm sorry that I'm trying to discuss things that we should be talking about anyways. We can't act like this isn't an issue." Brooke snapped.

"No it isn't an issue, not right now it isn't. Hell, we've only been dating for three months and you're acting like we're engaged." Jensen yelled.

Brooke became quiet, turning to look out the passenger side window. Jensen hit the radio off, not wanting to listen to upbeat music at the moment. The car became silent, eerily quiet.

"I would like to be dropped off at my place." Brooke said after a few minutes.

"I already was going to." Jensen told her.

Brooke bit the inside of her cheek, clamping down hard until the taste of blood filled her mouth. She blinked back her tears, not wanting to cry in front of him. The rest of the car ride was silent, neither of them saying goodbye when he dropped her off at her apartment.