21

"How've you been?" Gen asked, placing a comforting hand on Brooke's arm.

Brooke forced a tired smile, "I miss the way it used to be."

Gen nodded her head, understanding her friend. She had seen the marriage slowly fall apart once Elodie had been born. It was hard to raise a newborn and keep a stable marriage when Jensen spent all his time on set. She had found herself facing the same struggle with Jared but they had figured out ways to cope with it.

"Have you tried marriage counseling? It really helped me and Jared out when we had a rough patch." Gen offered.

Brooke shook her head, "He hasn't even returned my calls . I don't even know where he is right now.... He hasn't been home for five weeks."

Brooke felt her throat tighten and her heart sunk. She had not admitted that he had been gone for so long to anyone. She could barely fathom it herself. Every time her mom called her and asked to talk to Jensen she gave a lame excuse of why he couldn't come to the phone instead of mustering up the courage to admit to her own mother that her marriage was failing.

Gen raised her eyebrows. It was the first she was hearing of Jensen's disappearing act. It was extremely out of character for him. Family meant the world to him so she found it hard to believe that he would leave his wife and new daughter. Gen also felt hurt, knowing that Jared most likely knew of this information and had not told her.

Gen placed her hand on Brooke's shoulder and let out a sigh. She knew how hard it must be for her. Gen felt crushed at the news herself, she could barely imagine how Brooke must feel.

"Do you know what the worst part is?" Brooke said, her voice hoarse and raspy as she tried to hold back her tears. "I'm not even angry at him. He could walk in the door right now and I would take him back and kiss him and forgive him like he didn't do anything wrong at all. I just want him to come home."

"I would be the same way if Jared did this." She said. "If you need anything at all, I'll help you."

Brooke gave Gen a small smile, grateful to have a friend like her at this time. Brooke felt like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders by telling someone about Jensen. Keeping everything to herself was eating her alive ur telling Gen almost gave her a sense of relief.

"I actually thought that he was here at your house." Brooke said, rolling her eyes. "I feel so stupid."

Gen shook her head, "Brooke you are not stupid. You haven't done anything wrong."

Brooke flashed her a weak smile and rested her head in on her palms. Elodie, who was on a bouncy chair in the living room, began to cry. Brooke began to get up when Gen stopped her.

"I'll get her." Gen said with a wide smile.

Brooke let out a sigh, thankful for the help Gen was offering. Most likely, Elodie just wanted to be placed on the floor so she could crawl around but even that small ounce of help was greatly appreciated.

Gen arrived back in less than three minutes, a baby monitor in hand. She set it down on the island in front of them. Tom, Shep and Elodie were in the playroom and because Gen splurged and bought an expensive baby monitor, they were able to see the kids play in the room on a video.

"I'll try to get in touch Jensen and convince him to call you." Gen said, placing her arm around Brooke. "I'm here for you."

"Thank you," Brooke mustered out. "For everything."

Gen swatted it away like it was nothing. She had no idea how much she meant to Brooke. Gen was always there for her and had grown to become one of Brooke's most trusted and reliable friends. Brooke considered her to be a best friend.

"We'll get this figured out and I'll be here every step of the way." Gen said softly.

Brooke rested her head on her friends shoulder and let out a long sigh. She needed the support that Gen was giving her if she was going to get through this.