9

"Two braids or one braid?" Brooke asked as she brushed through JJ's hair.

JJ furrowed her eyebrows and tapped her chin which caused Brooke to smile. It was funny how kids imitated what they saw others doing. Jensen had done that the other night at dinner and JJ apparently paid attention to it.

"One." She answered.

"Okay, you have to stay still for me." Brooke reminded her as she began to braid her hair. 

JJ did sit still which was surprising since it was the first time she had listened. Usually she would move her head and then her hair would be pulled but maybe she was learning. Anyways, she kept herself occupied by looking at herself make silly faces in the mirror.

"When's mommy gonna come?" JJ asked.

Brooke glanced down at her watch, "Soon."

Brooke hated to give JJ duration of times because she would then get upset if what she wanted didn't happen within the time she was told. Danneel should be arriving in less than ten minutes but just in case there was exceptionally bad traffic or she got a late start, it was better to not tell JJ how fast she would be arriving.

"Alright you're all done." Brooke said after she put the hairband on.

JJ turned her head side to side, admiring her hair in the mirror. The face she makes when she admires herself is like Jensen's Blue Steel look and it made Brooke laugh every time.

The doorbell rang and JJ went running to down the stairs and to the door, opening it right away. Jensen was trying to work on this with her, recently she started opening the door for whoever rang which really wasn't safe.

"Mommy look at my hair!" JJ said spinning around on the pad of her foot so Danneel could see the back of her hair.

"Wow! That looks so good. Who did that for you?" Danneel asked.

"My other mommy!" JJ smiled.

Danneel's expression shifted, her smile fading a little. "Go grab your things from you room and then we can go."

JJ went back running up the stairs and disappeared from their sight. Danneel pursed her lips and then ran her hand through her hair.

"I don't know where she got that from. She always calls me Brooke. I'm sorry if that upset you." Brooke said, unsure of what exactly to say.

Danneel nodded, "It's, uh, it's fine."

"I can talk to her about it if you want next time. I can tell her to only call me Brooke."

Danneel shook her head, "Just tell me that you and Jensen are serious because I don't want her to get in the crossfire."

"We are serious." Brooke answered quietly.

Brooke chewed on the inside of her cheek, nerves flowing through her. She felt bad about what JJ said especially because it was in front of Danneel. She would be devastated if her child called another woman 'mommy' and she imagined Danneel must be feeling something about the same.

"I'm worried that she will get herself too attached and then you'll leave." Danneel sighed. "I guess I'll always have this fear with every person in her life."

"It's a natural feeling to want to protect your child from hurting." Brooke shrugged. "But I have no plan of leaving and I would never try to hurt her even if god forbid something did happen between me and Jensen."

Brooke rested her arm on the railing for the stairs while Danneel kept her position by the door. When Danneel came to pick up JJ, she never came in farther than a few feet. She used to live here with Jensen but I guess she doesn't feel welcome anymore.

"She talks about you a lot." Danneel said. "She really likes you."

"When I tuck her in at night she always tells me something about what you do with her. Like when you read Cinderella, you read Cinderella's part with a high pitched voice and the wicked stepmother with an evil sound of voice. She tells me all sorts of things that you do." Brooke said.

Danneel forced a tiny smile. It was weird to be talking with Jensen's girlfriend. She didn't feel jealous, she didn't know what she felt but it felt like something that she couldn't name.

"If you are going to stick around, we should get to know each other. For JJ's sake." Danneel offered.

"That would be nice." Brooke smiled.

JJ came down the stairs, her blanket and bear in hand. Danneel scooped her up and kissed her cheek.

"What took you so long?" She asked playfully.

"I don't know?" JJ answered, raising her eyebrows.

"Did you say thank you to Brooke for doing your hair?" Danneel asked JJ.

JJ shook her head and then looked towards Brooke, "Thank you Brooke. It's very pretty."

"Your welcome, sweetie. I'll see you next week, okay?" Brooke answered.

"See you next week." JJ said.

"We'll see you later." Danneel said to Brooke as she opened up the door.

Brooke shut the door behind her, unsure of how to be feeling exactly. On one hand she should be happy that Danneel wants to get together but it also was intimidating going out with your boyfriends ex wife. She wondered what Jensen would say about this.