23

Brooke knew she had puffy eyes from her crying this morning. Elodie had begun first grade and no matter how many times she told herself she wasn't going to cry, she broke down like a baby when she saw her sweet daughter get onto the school bus. It was a bittersweet moment. She was excited for this big change in their lives but also at the same time she wished she would stop growing.

She was on her normal route to work, her favorite coffee shop coming into view. She definitely needed her coffee this morning before work. Some days she passed on coffee but today, it was a necessity.

The sweet smell of coffee grinds and cinnamon radiated from the shop even through closed doors. She walked in, finding that this morning there was barely a line with only five people waiting to order. She got into the back of the line, pulling out her phone to respond to texts from Gen. She never understood why Gen would send her text messages that were practically books rather than simply calling her. It would save Gen the time from having to type it and Brooke the time from having to read the wordy texts.

"Mam," the barista called.

Brooke's eyes shot up, realizing it was her turn now. She hadn't realized that the people in front of her were no longer in front of her so now she was awkwardly standing far back from the register.

"Sorry," she blushed as she walked up and placed her normal order.

Brooke handed the lady a ten dollar bill but the lady waved it away, "the man two in front of you payed for your order."

Brooke's forehead wrinkled in confusion. Why would anyone want to pay for her? The barista smiled and pointed towards the back of the shop. Brooke turned around to see a man who was smiling at her, an awfully familiar man who she had not seen for years. She took her order from the barista and walked back towards him.

"Your plan of buying me coffee and having me fall madly in love with you only works once." Brooke joked as she stood beside the table he was sitting at.

"Well, I figured it was worth a shot anyways." He smiled. "You look good."

"Thank you. The same goes for you too. You do know that aging is supposed to make you look worse, right?" She smiled.

Jensen laughed. Everything felt so natural between them. The years of not seeing each other and the bad way things had ended hadn't created an awkward barrier. He figured it was because both of them had time to heal, to recover.

Brooke was still best friends with Gen but they never talked about Jensen. The only way Brooke knew about his life was from what she read on the front cover of the tabloids. He had gone back to Danneel after they divorced and they stayed together for two years but never remarried. He hadn't been seeing anyone for the past four years or maybe he has and she hadn't seen it.

They had a setup for Elodie that was put in place for Brooke to avoid seeing him at all costs after the divorce. She would drop Elodie off at Gen and Jared's and then Jensen would pick her up from there. Brooke was broken up after the divorce and very depressed. She knew she wouldn't be able to see him on a weekly basis but now she had healed. It was actually nice seeing him. It was like catching up with an old friend.

"What have you been up to?" He asked.

"Ugh, the usual. I've been working a lot but now that Elodie is in school I can get a lot more accomplished. Oh, has she told you that she really wants a dog? She's been begging me constantly about getting a puppy."

"No she hasn't actually. She wanted me to get her a bunny I think sometime last month so I got her a stuffed bunny that she wasn't too happy with." He laughed.