Episode 2.9

(Previously: The thief, who Vecto names Chais, mentions planet Zendora, surprising Vecto.) 

"Zendora?" Vecto was shocked at hearing that word again. "You mean you know where it is?" 

"What if I do?" Chais said, holding the weapon upright again. 

Vecto stepped forward. 

"Take one more step, and I'll fire!" 

Vecto did anyway. 

Bullets streamed from the chain gun as Vecto advanced. Smoke fumed from Vecto's body as the bullets disintegrated on his shields. Calmly, the robot reached out and yanked the chain gun from Chais' grasp. "Tell me where Zendora is, and perhaps I'll let you keep my weapons," Vecto said, tossing the gun aside. 

Chais stepped back in shock, but looked at the weapons lying on the surface. It was quite some deal, he thought. 

"No tricks?" he asked. 

"Robots don't lie," Vecto said, although that in itself was a lie.  

"Seems like finding Zendora must be pretty important to you," Chais said, scratching his chin. 

"That's my affair," said Vecto. "Well? Where is it?" 

"Heck if I know." Chais shrugged. "I stowed away on a ship leaving the planet and can't get back. Don't even care, to tell you the truth." 

"Someone must know how to get back," Vecto said. "Tell me, and I'll spare your life." 

"I'm not scared of you!" Chais said. "Anyway, a minute ago you were going to trade me these weapons for that information. Now you're going to kill me?" 

"Do you even know who I am?" 

"Vecto. Remember? You told me," Chais said. He gestured his hands in the air. "Look, a guy named Leroy Johnson might know where Zendora is. He's a Zarlero master." He glanced away. "Wouldn't train me, though." 

"Leroy . . . Where can I find him?" Vecto asked. 

"Lives at a farm about thirty miles west of here, past an abandoned factory site," Chais said, walking toward his sword. 

"Lead me there," Vecto ordered. 

Chais picked up his sword and looked it over. "You know, I guess you're not that bad after all. Might let you join my fan club." He laughed. "And, um, sorry about blowing up your car and all." 

Vecto was silent. 

"Don't worry. No attacks," Chais said, sheathing the blade. He exercised the muscles in his shoulder and walked to the edge of the building. The sun had buried itself into the distant horizon, and the last bit of sunlight faded in the distance. Chais looked down and felt dizzy. He dismissed his fear of heights. Even after scaling a building, climbing the wall of an elevator shaft, jumping off a roof, and leaping from one vehicle to the next, he still gets dizzy when he looks down. 

"Well, what're you waitin' for?" Chais asked, turning to look at Vecto. "Thought you wanted me to lead you to the guy." 

Vecto nodded silently. Leroy Johnson, he thought. That traitor. 

(Who is Leroy Johnson? Why does Vecto call him a traitor? And does he know how to get to Zendora? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!) 

If you like the story, please support me by purchasing the book on Amazon, etc. Just click the link on my profile page! Alternatively, you can always help out by voting, commenting, and telling your friends about the story!

Below is an image of Chais!