Prologue 0.2

(Previously: Robotic Vecto awakes to his friend and teammate Gyro creating a new body for him. It's revealed that Vecto sacrificed himself to save his friend.) 

"You know, I want to thank you for blocking that blast," Gyro said as he tested the arm's connection. "I couldn't have used the Giga Ball without you." 

Vecto nodded as Gyro worked on the joint. He replayed the moment of his destruction. He recalled with crystal clarity how their arch-nemesis, the mass-murderer Morphaal, had been about to kill Gyro. Vecto had not hesitated to shield Gyro with his robotic body, giving his teammate enough time to use the Giga Ball energy attack. It had put an end to Morphaal's tyrannical rule of conquered planets. It had also put an end-fortunately, a temporary one-to Vecto. 

"Is it correct to assume Morphaal is dead?" Vecto asked. 

"Disintegrated," Gyro said firmly. "I doubt he's coming back. But you've gotta take it easier next time, OK? That blast could have fried your orb." 

"I am fortunate that my shields held." 

"Like I said, don't rely on your orb for everything," Gyro said as he latched the final joint connector. "Granted, those shields are powerful stuff, but you're not invincible, you know?" 

"Neither are you." 

Gyro paused. "I hope not. I know all too well where that leads. Now, move your arm around. See if it works." 

Vecto raised his arm and clenched his fingers into a fist. He made a quick jab toward Gyro, stopping an inch before his face. Gyro didn't so much as blink. 

"At least I can reserve my shields," Vecto said. 

Gyro laughed. "Yeah, you can relax without 'em for a change. Your orb is locked tight within that chestplate." 

"Thanks, Gyro." Vecto lowered his arm. 

Gyro turned to his work stand and began packing his tools. 

Vecto watched his friend but couldn't help thinking about what his future would be without Morphaal. Even Gyro's future. The Alpha Squad had been created to defeat Morphaal. Without him, what would they do? 

He finally spoke. "I have been contemplating," he said, his voice hesitant. "If Morphaal is indeed dead, then we have fulfilled our purpose. Our objective is accomplished, is it not?" 

Gyro turned to look Vecto in the eyes as if searching for emotion behind the mechanical sockets. "What are you suggesting? That we disband? Go our separate ways? Raise a family?" Gyro laughed at the latter. 

"If that's what you want," Vecto responded. 

"Are you crazy? I wouldn't miss being in the Alpha Squad for anything. Being with you, Phantom, and Shadow is far more exciting than standing guard on Hodos." Gyro sealed his box of robotic parts and tools. "Don't sweat it. I'm here to stay." 

"I concur," Vecto said, nodding. 

The door slid open with a hiss, revealing a black-and-brown-cloaked figure in the entranceway. Blue eyes glinted beneath the dark hood. 

"Don't slack just yet," Phantom said. "We have another mission." 

Gyro smiled. "Jeez. Couldn't we get a few more days of rest?" 

"One of Morphaal's henchmen is still alive. We need to take him out." 

"Affirmative," Vecto said and stood to his full height of seven feet ten. 

"I wouldn't miss it!" Gyro said. 

(What happens to the Alpha Squad now after Morphaal is dead? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!)