Episode 2.8

(Previously: The thief attacks Vecto, but Vecto knocks the kid through the roof of a building.) 

"Crysilis, do you read me?" Vecto said through the comlink. 

"Yeah, finally got free, no thanks to you," Crysilis responded. "And man, you should see Streamline. He's got a pole stuck to his arm." He laughed, then turned serious. "Any luck on the rifle?" 

Vecto transported three small orbs around him. "The kid must have dropped it in midair," he responded. He could hear gunfire through the comlink but knew that Crysilis and Streamline could take care of themselves. "I'm going to send some orbs to scout the area. Try not to get in too much trouble." 

"Same to you," Crysilis said while apparently running. "Well, gotta go. The police are after us, so we'll be there when we can." 

"Affirmative," Vecto responded and disconnected the comlink. He dispatched the floating orbs and walked to the slanted part of the roof. He glanced down the hole to see if he could see the kid anywhere. But all he could see were storage crates. He switched to infrared and could now see him. He was directly below! 

The kid hung from a wire. At the sight of Vecto, he swung back up, past the robot and onto the roof. Rolling, he snatched his Crossblade, and swung it while flipping the switch to detach the blade from the handle. Vecto snatched the flying blade, but when he looked back, the bandit was gone. He turned around to see the kid heaving Vecto's Alpha Detta Flint, pointing it at him. Vecto regretted leaving his weapons unguarded. He was overconfident that the kid couldn't get by him. 

"All right, game's over!" the kid said, resting the long triangle-shaped weapon on his shoulder. "I'll let you live if you let me have these weapons. And your friend can have his back, too." 

"Do you realize you're holding a nuclear weapon?" Vecto said, dropping the blade. 

The thief looked at the huge weapon on his shoulder, a bit overwhelmed. Yet he kept it aimed at Vecto. 

"If you use that, my shields will protect me, and you'll be the only one dead-as well as the people caught in its radius of 0.95 miles," Vecto explained, bluffing that his shields could withstand another one of the blasts so soon. "Do you want that?" 

The kid had second thoughts. He dropped the weapon and grabbed a chain gun from the ground. 

"That will not work either," Vecto said. "You want to try it?" 

The thief steadied the gun at him but didn't fire. 

Vecto paced toward him. "What's your name? You gave us quite a chase back there." 

"I ain't gonna tell ya!" the kid snarled. "Now, stop right there, or I'll shoot!" 

"How about I call you Chase?" Vecto said, stopping. "I'm Vecto." He reached his hand out to shake hands. 

The kid ignored the gesture. "You've got a strange name," he said. "But you know what? I kinda like Chase. C-H-A-I-S," he said. "Kinda sounds like 'Chance.'" 

Vecto ignored the misspelling. "Who is Chance?" 

"Huh. Only one of the greatest fighters on Zendora!" Chais said, carelessly gesturing with the gun. "Well, second to me when I best him." 

"Zendora?" Vecto was shocked at hearing that word again. "You mean you know where it is?" 

(How does Chais know about Zendora? And will he tell Vecto where it is? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!)