Episode 7.5

(Previously: Vecto nukes Prometheus and lands on the steeple of a church. He is reminded of Gyro's cross and contemplates his actions.) 

"There's no turning back now, is there?" Vecto said to himself as he pointed his Blaster 3,000 at the cathedral. He peered over his gun but refrained from shooting. Scanners were picking up large movement behind the church-at ground zero. Vecto rose into the air and landed atop a nearby building next to the church graveyard. 

"So the machine survived the impact," Vecto said, watching the gigantic mech stumble through the rubble, its torn armor being repaired by backup nanomachines. 

Prometheus scanned for Vecto. When it spotted him, the mech ignited its thrusters and soared from the smoke. It fired missiles as it approached, and Vecto took evasive action, running across the roof of the building, eluding the explosions as the building collapsed. 

Vecto's Flame Boosters activated, sending him soaring between two lookout towers. But the mech pressed on-its body on fire as it launched energy blasts toward Vecto. Vecto dodged, the beams scorching by to collide with a weapons facility. Vecto kicked himself from the wall as the building ignited in flames. He headed for the mech and rammed it in the chest, causing a dent and knocking it off balance. The mech fell backward, but its rear thrusters kicked in, stabilizing it to an upright position. Vecto then slammed his fist into its hull and ripped open a slab of the cockpit. He could see a soldier within, piloting the machine. And Brail could also see Vecto up close. 

"Take me to your leader," Vecto said, looking through the crack. "And I'll spare you." 

"I don't take bribes," Brail replied coldly. The mech grabbed hold of Vecto, pulling him from the hull as if an oversized tick, and tossed him aside, firing missiles at him. The missiles collided with his shield, sending him into a liftcopter platform. But the mech didn't stop there. It jumped at Vecto, stomping on him, grinding him into the platform. 

Vecto expanded his shields, knocking the machine off. He quickly ran down a jet launch pad, and the mech pursued, firing at the small figure of Vecto. Prometheus' broad steps crushed the takeoff platform as it chased its target. 

After leading the mech through the aircraft carrier, tank storage building, and armored vehicle parking station, Vecto came to a stop on the roof of yet another building, looking down at the destruction the mech had caused. 

Prometheus leaped in the air, activated its thrusters, and came to slow stop on the roof on the other side of Vecto. Two communication towers behind the mech matched its height as it loomed over the robot. 

(It's machine against machine, and Prometheus is still putting up a challenge for Vecto. But how long can Brail hold out? Find out more in the next installment of Vecto: Vengeance!)