Twelve

Luhan had kept his mouth shut since everything that happened yesterday, not uttering a single word to Sehun. He wasn't protesting; it was the best to keep quiet because there would always be an argument as soon as he opened his mouth.

He was tired... tired of getting his heart broken.

Maybe Kai did have a point. Luhan needed to care for his heart more so it won't get hurt by Sehun.

His 'mission' of finding clues about Sehun's abandoned love story started as soon as he saw the opportunity. Sehun was gone along with his dad for an evening jog and Luhan quickly fiddled with the shelves, trying to find anything related to Miyoung. It would be easier to trace her whereabouts if he could find more and more clues.

He brought the stack of boxes onto the bed and started to check its contents one by one, reading thoroughly through each note, hoping for a miracle.

After some time, Luhan gave up with a huff and neatly tidied up the mess he made. He sighed heavily, disappointed that he'd found nothing Sehun and Miyoung related. Sehun must be super secretive or he might have guessed that Luhan was up to something and hid most of the boxes. Come to think of it, even the gifts that Luhan got him vanished from the glass cabinet. He inhaled deeply, wondering if he should continue searching through the room or to just call it a day.

Why was it so hard to bring back the main source of Sehun's happiness?

Night came and the sky was decorated with brightly shining stars. Once again, Luhan would just stand on the balcony, drowning himself with meaningless thoughts as he waited for Sehun to fall asleep.

Sehun hadn't questioned him even once and Luhan was sure that his husband was more comfortable like that. Luhan never thought of interrupting his husband's sleep so, as always, Luhan would let himself fall asleep in the uncomfortable position of his head on the dressing table. Before going to bed, he would often stare at the sleeping doctor's face -- he looked so peaceful, not a frown on his perfect face.

But Luhan wouldn't forever sleep in that position because he'd made up his mind -- once they moved into their own house, he would sleep in a separate room.

Luhan wasn't able to get himself to sleep, too busy thinking about Miyoung. Why on earth did she leave Sehun? Where was she now? Those thoughts never left his mind, as if they were taunting him, encouraging him to find the truth. If he knew where Miyoung was hiding, he would connect her string of love back to Sehun. After that, Luhan wiould run away and leave all of this heartbreak behind to start a new life.

Luhan found himself downstairs, heading through the kitchen in the dark.

Dark...

As dark as how my heart, my soul, and my entire body are.

Luhan got a glass of cold water in hope that it would soothe his tangled mind while he sat at the table, staring into the darkness. Truth be told, he wasn't thirsty at all. All he could think of was how to gain information about Miyoung.

The kitchen's light turned on all of sudden and Luhan quickly brought the glass to his mouth, pretending like he was taking a drink.

"It's quite late, sweetie. Why aren't you asleep yet?" Mrs. Oh asked curiously as she stood still, face painted with shock. Luhan only gave his mother-in-law a smile in return.

"My eyes just wouldn't close, mum." Luhan chuckled.

"It's nearly 4! You should be tucked in bed and asleep right now. Don't tell me that you haven't slept a wink since last night?"

Luhan averted his gaze from the woman and Mrs. Oh knew the answer perfectly well.

"Can I ask you a question?"