Prologue

The room stank of fear, it radiated off the tightly compacted group of children, amplified by the determination to fight, and the knowing that they were all about to die. Impending doom was not the happiest of thoughts per say. The wights merely grinned at the group of children, as a shadow loomed from the doorway, the stench of the hideous creature that was invisible mixed in with the already pungent stench of amplified fear. Yet it was a beautiful day, sun streamed into the room through the windows, illuminating the dust that had been unsettled by the many people in the room, the only grey cloud was in the room, and it resembled pure evil, in the form of two wights and a hollowghast. The end did not seem as far away as it used to for those who lived in the loop, they were not used to seeing death so close.

The first wight, a tall blonde woman with a sour expression, stepped forward, an evil smirk playing on her lips. She reached over and grabbed hold of one of the children by his hair, he was a tall blonde boy with widened green eyes, who stared at her in fear as he was ripped away from his friends. They all looked on, scared to see what would happen to their friend, and many tried to think of ways to save him, although there was no way to be seen, without unleashing a frenzy of unspeakable power.

"It's your lucky day, you're the first to die." She told him, he said nothing, but it was an intervention by a friend of his that possibly saved him, or doomed herself. Either one was a possibility.

"Ethan!" A brown-haired girl by the name of Jeanette yelled his name, her brown eyes full of tears, she was held back by another of her friends, he had his hand over her mouth so she did not get herself killed any faster. The wights rounded on her at once, ignoring the boy they had previously been attempting to kill, he did not look as happy as any other person would do in that situation., if he was not to die first, then he would have to watch one of his friends die, a feat no one wanted to bear witness to that.

"Jenny! No!" Ethan yelled desperately, she was his best friend after all and he had lost too much already, he could not lose her as well. The wights ignored his yells and he was pushed back into his group of friends and peers, and the wights dragged Jeanette to the front instead. Leo, their friend stopped him from falling, giving him a questioning look to inquire about his wellbeing. Ethan nodded at him, before looking back at the girl, who looked scared, it had been a long time since he had seen her look so scared, and the memory of the last time he had faced that expression, they were not worth the thought.

"You wish to die first?" The wight asked, but it was a rhetorical question, the girl would be killed anyway. "What a brave little girl." Her voice was like nails down a blackboard, it took all of Jeanette's willpower not to cover her ears and hide, she would not go down like a coward. She would not, she liked to think, go down without a fight, she had been through too much to let the wights get her down.

"I am 192 years old, I am not a child, but you, you are a coward!" She answered back, the woman slapped her and pushed her into the other wight, who held her back, in case she tried to run. Jeanette looked at one of the others, a brown-haired boy who looked around fourteen, Leo, he nodded. Ethan raised a hand and pointed at the shadow by the door, ice formed all around it, showing off its figure perfectly. Their makeshift plan seemed to be working. Now was the time for the rest of the plan to work, contrary to the fact that parts of their plan had not been thought of yet. And all they could do was hope that it worked.