chapter thirty two

She wasn't alone, Miss Wren was stood with a tall, blonde girl

She wasn't alone, Miss Wren was stood with a tall, blonde girl. Who smiled at only four of them as they approached. But it was Nathan who greeted her first.

"Evie!" He ran towards his sister, greeting her for the first time in years.

"Hey little one, have you been good?" She smiled hugging him back tightly.

"Miss Wren, Miss Peregrine can't change back." Emma said at once, and Jeanette and Leo enveloped their best friend in a hug.

"Jenny, Leo, I'm so sorry." She kissed them both on the cheek. "We have to stop him."

"Evie I can't believe you're here." Jeanette grinned.

"It's been a long time." Leo added.

"Oh my loves, I have missed you." She held them close, gesturing for Cameron to join them. "Quick, we must get inside. There is much to discuss."

They entered the strange, ice covered building within moment's, Miss Wren was sure she could fix Miss Peregrine, which delighted her group of peculiar to no end. However, Jeanette exchanged a glance with Cameron, as she feared the worst.

"What's wrong?" Jeanette jumped as Enoch appeared at her shoulder.

"Enoch I have the most terrible feeling." She told him. "I do feel as though everything is about to go wrong."

"Jenny." Enoch took her hands. "You're probably right." He took a deep breath. "But whatever happens, we have each other."

"Oh Enoch, whatever would I do without you." She asked him, He smirked.

"Well my dear, that would be telling."

"Would it indeed Mr O'Connor?" She asked him, a smile playing on her lips.

"It would." He placed one hand gently at the side of her face and pressed his lips to hers. She reached up and put her arms around his neck, bringing her closer to him as the inevitable finally happened.

They broke apart, their eyes meeting for a split second before she looked away with a smile.

"Enoch..." her eyes met his again as she tried to let out the words she wanted to say, but they all evaded her.

"Jenny, I wish to court you, may I?" He asked, it was very formal, in a lingo that perhaps not everyone recognised anymore. But both she and him understood and in the many years of their lives they had never felt anything was as right as the two being together.

"You may." She kissed him gently again, before pulling away and slipping her hand to his. He smiled at her. "Come on, there is many things to find out yet."

"That's what I'm afraid of." He sighed as the two continued into the building and she managed to quickly find the others, as though she knew the way around the building already.

The others were deep in conversation, or rather argument with a small group of almost adult peculiars, who did not look convinced that the group would be any use at all.

"My my what is going on?" Jeanette asked.

"You children are going to fight?" One of the older peculiars asked.

"My good sir I myself am nearly 200 years of age, we may look like children, but we are not, and we are going to avenge our friends and ymbrynes." She told him, hand still clasping Enochs. "We are more than we seem, now I believe you have information to be telling us."

^^^
"Josef! Joe please wake up!" The speakers voice cut through the silence of the cell like a knife, disturbing the uneven breaths of the younger boy he was desperately trying to awaken. "Please, please I need you." How the speaker had gotten into the cell in the first place was a mystery, and despite his injuries, he had still crawled over to the boy. "Come on little brother."

Klaus' head shot up as a tall, blond haired boy walked towards them. "How did you get in here?"

"He's so cold, what did you do to him?" The blond did not answer as he unlocked the cell and walked in, sitting on Josef's other side.

"You have to take him with you, find a girl called Jeanette, she can help." He finally said. "Tell him I'm sorry, tell them all."

Klaus finally looked at him properly. "You're Ethan!" He looked at Josef, before sighing. "He told me about you, he was worried about you, you looked after my baby brother... you did this, didn't you?"

"I didn't want to." Ethan shook his head. "You'll never get him out of here yourself."

Klaus looked at his injuries and then at Ethan. "Help me."

"I can't."

"But he's frozen, you have to be able to do something, you managed to freeze him."

"I can't undo it, I'm not strong enough, I need someone else's strength." Ethan admitted, only Jenny had realised that he needed strength to undo it, that he took his friends strength to do it. "And you're not strong enough either."

"Then help me carry him."

"You'll never make it out."

"Please."

Ethan shook his head and stood up, leaving the cell and swiftly locking the door behind him, Klaus came to the bars angrily, his body crackled with energy, but he was too weak to actually summon lightning. "Don't do this."

"I'm sorry."

Klaus sighed and went back over to his brother. "Josef, hey come on." He bit his lip, his eyes filling with tears as he took his jacket off and wrapped it around his brother. "Please don't leave me. It's just you and me now brother. She... I won't let her find you. I promise."

And whether it was the extra warmth, or the presence of his brother, Josef finally stirred, it was a small movement, but it was there and it was amazing, it meant he was still fighting. " We'll make it out Joe, I promise." Klaus said and it was a promise he meant to keep. "We'll find your family."