Chapter seventeen

The scenery was beautiful, which was what struck Jeanette first

The scenery was beautiful, which was what struck Jeanette first. She had just got off the boat, closely followed by Enoch, who had been trying and failing to be a gentleman all day and was beginning to worry her. They had landed on a beach, which was empty. She felt as though perhaps it shouldn't be empty, but all her thoughts of this disappeared as she saw her fellow peculiars enjoying the beach. Alice was chasing Nathan and Casper through the shallows of the sea, whilst Josef and Horace were investigating a rock pool. Bronwyn, Claire and olive were sat on some rocks, the two younger girls dipping their toes into the water. Stephan, Aimee and Melanie were sat under the shadows of a tree, chatting happily, whilst Jake and Emma walked and talked, with Miss Peregrine on Emma's shoulders. Millard and Cameron were sat talking as well, as were Hugh and Fiona. The beach itself was beautiful. Although the sand was a deep brown colour, the sea was a nice blue and the trees that surrounded the place were luscious greens and hints of reds.

"It seems we may be staying here for a while." Jeanette mused to Enoch, who laughed.

"It gives us enough time to think of a way to 'sneak away'" he agreed.

"But for now I believe we should enjoy this, who knows whether we will have chance again." Jeanette said, he laughed and nodded.

^^^

It had been pitifully easy to sneak away. Sneaking away from the rest of the group was easier than leaving the table at dinner, no one saw them leave, or suspected a thing, this put Jeanette edge.

"What's wrong?" the dark-haired girl jumped at the sound of the boy's voice, before turning to look at him.

"Enoch." She began with a troubled sigh. "This was too easy." Her eyes darted at the scenery, as if expecting something to jump out at them.

"you're over-thinking." He told her stoically.

She gaped at him. "I am not!" she defended herself.

"You are." He challenged, she narrowed her eyes at him.

"I feel offended at your very words." she countered. He held out his arms to her with a smile and she allowed herself into his arms.

"together we can get through this." He told her, sounding uncharacteristically enthusiastic.

She smiled. "is that so? Do you really believe as much?"

"I do." Their lips were inches apart now, but before they had the chance to meet, they heard someone yell Jeanette's name.

"Alas, peace is a hard thing to come by," Jeanette laughed.

"Perhaps another time." Enoch nodded, letting go of the girl as Caspar walked towards them.

"Whatever is the matter Caspar?" Jeanette asked the younger boy with a hint of worry in her voice.

"Where exactly are we going?" Caspar asked.

"We are going to find my dear friend Addison, as he will surely be able to help us." Jeanette answered with a smile.

"Who is Addison?" Stephan asked quietly.

"Addison is a dear friend of mine, my family was close friends with Miss Wren, and he was one of her charges. She was a lovely woman, helped me throughout my life. Addison too, he will help us, I know it." Jeanette nodded.

"He shall." Horace agreed.

"I would like to meet him." Josef stated.

"I'm sure we all would." Melanie said, the others agreeing at once.

"Will he be able to help us with other things, like fixing Joe's strange affliction? Or stopping people controlling Stephan?" Caspar asked, Stephan looked at him and shook his head.

"Help Josef he may be able to do, but there is nothing that can be done for me." Stephan said.

"We'll find a way." Melanie rubbed his arm comfortingly, he smiled at her.

"Your optimism is admirable Mel." He told her.

"You really believe he can help us?" Enoch asked Jeanette, she nodded.

"Indeed, although I must warn you, he is not exactly human, and I must warn you not to comment on it." Jeanette told them all.

"What do you mean he's not human?" Leo asked with a frown.

"well, he's a dog." Jeanette answered.

"A dog?" Caspar asked in surprise.

"Yes, he can talk though." Jeanette answered.

"But- "Stephan's question was interrupted by Horace pointing out the village they had just walked up too.

"I recognise this place." Jeanette said softly.

"You do?" Enoch asked, he had heard her.

"I- Enoch I grew up here!" she announced excitedly.

"Can we see your house Jenny?" Josef asked, Jeanette grinned at him.

"Well, I suppose a quick de-tour cannot hurt us." She nodded.

The route through the village was lovely. Each house differed from the ones around it, build by different people and in different times. Some were small cottages, some were terraces, some stood proudly away from the rest. But the one on the hill, the one that lay deserted, the nicest house there, that was the one they headed towards.

Walking up to the door, Jeanette found Enoch put his hand in hers, she smiled at him, earning a re-assuring look from him. Given new courage from him, she opened the door to her old home and was surprised to see everything was how she had left it, apart from the bloodstains that had been left from her father's dying form were nowhere in sight. The carpet covering the rough floorboards was cleaner then she'd ever seen it in her life.

"This is where you used to live?" Leo asked in surprise. She nodded.

Yes, in fact- "She was cut off by the wall coming away, leaving a hidden tunnel in the wall, where the fireplace used to be. This room was once the living room, after all. "That was not there before." She said blankly.

"Can we go explore it Jenny?" Caspar asked excitedly.

"Well, I suppose we better had, hadn't we?"