Chapter ten

No one said a word, no one dared to say a word

No one said a word, no one dared to say a word. Until one of the little ones started screaming in fright.

And more screams ensued, until everyone was a mess of screams and sobs.

Jeanette stood with Enoch, Josef and Horace, watching the chaos sombrely.

"Well this is definitely going to help us get our ymbrynes back." Enoch said. Jeanette nodded, she liked this new side of him, but now wasn't really the time to comment on it. She was seeing the side of Enoch Miss Peregrine's children knew well, and unlike most of them, she liked it.

"Perhaps we should do something?" She suggested.

"I think Emma and Jacob have that covered." Josef answered, pointing to the two, who had climbed up onto a large crate and looked like they were about to say something. They didn't say anything for a few minutes, until Emma whistled for quiet.

Everyone stared at her expectantly, Bronwyn comforting the little ones who were crying, Melanie holding Nathan tightly, as he shivered violently. The effects of what Ethan had done showed in everyone's face. No one really wanted to believe it. But it was true and it hurt Jeanette like a slap in the face.

They had all been betrayed, betrayed by someone they had trusted, and for Miss Eagle's peculiars, betrayed by a family member. Heartbreak sat in their emotions and it took a moment for Emma to speak, as she was shocked by the expressions on her fellow peculiars.

"Crying and screaming is not going to solve this. We need to keep it together. Or we'll never get Miss P or Miss Eagle back." Emma said. No one said anything for a while.

"And how exactly do we do that? Just trusting Jacob's 'peculiarity' is not enough. Last time he led a Wight to us! And this time, this time it's worse. This time the wights are a part of the past." Enoch announced grandly. Jeanette nodded.

"As badly as Enoch put that, he is indeed right." She cut in before Emma could answer back to Enoch's comment. "We need a plan, we need a strategy. Cameron, Nathan and I have come up against these wights before, they know peculiars better then most. One used to be an ymbryne."

"You're right, we all need to work together. I can't do this alone, I don't know my peculiarity that well. As well as we can fight, as a group we will be better." Jacob said.

"We have to get our ymbrynes back, we'll make a plan and then go tell those wights who's boss!" Emma announced. Everyone cheered.

"Emma! We need your help!" Cameron yelled, he had taken his cousin from Melanie and was cradling him in his arms. Nathan was unconscious, his lips blue and he shivered violently. Emma came running and gasped when she saw the boy.

She warmed her hands and placed them on the boy's arms. Colour started to return to his face, his lips changed from pale blue to a pale pink, he eyes opened and he looked around in confusion.