Chapter eight

"I can't believe we've finally left." Jeanette murmured, staring out the window at the slowly disappearing house. Enoch looked up from the clay figure he was making.

"Will you ever discover why all that stuff was down there?" he asked, she turned away from the window and looked at him with a frown.

"There are some things that we are better off not knowing." Jeanette answered, she held tears in her eyes as she regarded the memories she had, ones that were bad, and ones that were good. "I watched him being teared apart, my own father, I just watched, I was sixteen years old, I could have done something,  but I just watched."

Enoch watched her, his dark eyes following each and every movement she made. "What about that loop, the other one?" He asked, she chuckled half-heartedly.

"I believe that's where they're planning something, I believe that it is orchestrated by wights that used to be ymbrynes. I know Miss Cuckoo is involved, and there is another. I saw him once, he is a wight, but before that, he had some sort of power." She said, her gaze never leaving the choppy waters they floated on. "A great evil is being unleashed Enoch, and we are going to be caught in it."

"There's no way out of this." He said, he believed whole-heartedly in what she said was the truth, he knew she wouldn't say them for the hell of it.

"No one believes it, because they don't want to." Jeanette turned to face him. "The younger ones are blind, they believe what suits them and ignore the truth."

"Jenny, we have one advantage that they don't." Enoch gave a ghost of a smile as he gestured to the army they had been sculpting, the very real wooden weapons Jeanette had been making sat next to the limbs made of clay and wood.

She smiled back and nodded slightly. "If only we had a forge." She said sadly.

"We work with what we have and we're still doing a better job than the others." Enoch said smugly. A wide smiled appeared on her lips.

"How very true that is Enoch." She said, she moved away from the window and sat down opposite him, picking up her work again. They worked in silence for a while, until Jeanette began to sing a well-known song, a song her 'second mother' used to sing to her whilst they worked in the gardens together.

"Alas, my love you do me wrong, to cast me off discourteously." She sung suddenly, causing Enoch to laugh randomly, he knew the song she was singing well.

"Where did that come from?" He asked, she put down the spear she was sculpting and smiled sadly.

"I was thinking about my sixteenth birthday, I was helping a friend of ours with the gardening, and she was singing it." She answered, before singing the rest of the first verse. "And I have loved you so long, delighting in your company." Jeanette and Enoch exchanged a look, before the former looked away with a blush.