Chapter eighteen

"Jenny! Do you think this tunnel ever ends?" Caspar complained critically, summoning himself a drink of water and wiping his brow dramatically

"Jenny! Do you think this tunnel ever ends?" Caspar complained critically, summoning himself a drink of water and wiping his brow dramatically. He had been dragging his feet for a wile and they had all been expecting him to start complaining at some point.

"Of course it does Caspar." Jeanette replied from her place at the front of the group. "Everything leads somewhere."

"But where?" Stephan asked grumpily, he was beginning to tire as well.

"I have a feeling, but I could be wrong." The girl answered with a shrug.

Leo pushed through the group, reaching the front where Jeanette and Enoch were, looking at them sceptically. "Why are you holding hands?" He questioned, looking at their entwined hands.

Enoch avoided Leo's accusing stare awkwardly, but Jeanette laughed and patted Leo on the shoulder. "Because Leo." She began, a hint of dramatics in her voice. "when one is walking down dark, unknown tunnels, it is nice to have reassurance from ones friend that you are not alone and they will help you. If you fall. Or get scared."

"Right. So there's nothing going on between you?" Leo asked disbelievingly.

"What?" Enoch burst out, eyes wide, his cheeks red.

"Good god Leo!" Jeanette exclaimed. "We've only just met."
"sorry." Leo muttered, looking suddenly ashamed of himself.

"It's okay Leo, I'll hold your hand." Caspar joked, Leo shot him a glare.

"Leave him alone Cas." Josef intervened quietly, now was not the time for an argument.

"Fine." Caspar muttered.

They lapsed into silence as they continued down the tunnel. It was indeed starting to feel like they would never get out of there.

"Are you scared Mel?" they heard Stephan ask from the back of the group, he broke the silence that had prevailed.

"A bit." The winged girl confessed. Jeanette glanced back to see Stephan put his arm around her shoulders. She smiled, Melanie deserved a good friend, although it was clear she had other feelings about Stephan, but just his friendship indeed made her happy.

"Enoch, I do believe we've run into a conundrum." Jeanette stated as they reached a fork in the tunnel.

"I have an idea that might work." Stephan announced, making everyone look at him expectantly.

"please, any suggestion is welcomed." Jeanette nodded.

"I could send a shadow down each tunnel to find out what is there." The boy suggested, his eyes slowly turning completely black as he summoned his shadowy servants.

"Stephan! Are you sure?" Melanie yelled in worry.

"He'll be okay at the end of it." Horace muttered knowledgably.