Book 7⌇2. Varið

Chapter 2 ∣  Varið

-Isis

That...thing...well, at least it didn't further pursue Icarus. 

I breathed out a sigh of relief, my dark blue eyes scanning from the dark-haired demon that momentarily halted my varið among the large crowd of humans that passed one another on the busy sidewalk. It was mid-day and Icarus was on his way to the Augmented Institute, the underground research facility that largely consisted of humans creating weapons to use against supernatural creatures.

Icarus' work centered around his hatred for the vampire race, thus throwing him headfirst into his work once the founder established this very technologically advanced facility. There are three others on his team aside from himself, each working with their own unique set of skills to come up with weapons that I didn't even think possibly could exist.

I knew why he was doing this...why he hated them so...but he'd never let his pain show through to anyone. He'd only opened once to the founder of the institute and that was before my time of being assigned to him. I'd only heard a whisper or two from him about the subject, but I knew it was something no one dared to bring up.

"People nowadays," Icarus shook his head, holding his forest green messenger bag closer to his body as he weaved his way through the throng of humans. He was wearing a long button-up beige coat that came down over the top of his jeans, his shoes pounding the pavement as he moved further away. His irritation was simmering down, trying hard not to let the encounter bother him. It bothered me though...not knowing what the motives were of a demon of his caliber...sex demons, the Devil's worse creation. This incubus was now doubtingly out on the hunt to have sex with another human being, stealing their life energy and taking away from their total life expectancy.

That's the thing about those demons...they kill you slowly and pleasurably, so much so, you don't even realize what is truly happening and you crave more. Once you realize...it's too late.

When my eyes darted sideways, I noticed the double-take look from the demon, his purple irises narrowing on Icarus. There was this look in his eyes, one that made me think for a second that he was about to pursue my varið.

Touch him and I'll kill you.

Without another incident arising, the demon left, resuming wherever it was he was going. Icarus' stride increased, nearing the intersection that led him down a side street. There were fewer people taking the path less traveled, only a couple of glances thrown Icarus' way. He was fearless and that's what bothered me the most.

I'd never had to show my true self to him, not once in the past six months since I was assigned the contract to protect him. When the Lord himself assigned me to watch over Icarus, I was flat out confused as he wasn't of any significance. Not until I learned why he needed protection.

Demons were never meant to live on Earth...permanently.

That all changed over a thousand years ago when the vampires escaped from Hell and made Earth their permanent residence. Humans tried killing them...that only worked for so long. Then came the days of the very first crossbreed between a pureblood vampire and a human, a hunter they were labeled as, their strength and speed like their vampire kin. Their white irises made them stick out against all other beings, making it easy to spot and kill them...some were smart, using contact lenses...while others...not so much.

Demons crossover to the Earth every day...but they all return to where they came from...the vampires refused.

Icarus' research is almost complete, a turning point for this world to rid of the vampires once and for all. Those who know of his existence and what he is working on...