Book 7⌇18. Disobedience

Chapter 18 ∣  Disobedience

-Isis

It was hard to look away because, at the same time, I wanted to be sure that this virus worked. It did, more effectively than Icarus could possibly have imagined. The vampire had been locked into the chair, silver restraints keeping his escape at bay, though he thrashed without hesitation even though it was futile.

"You're all blinded fools!" The vampire's bloody red irises scanned Icarus, Ayanna, Whitney, and Damon. He snarled viciously as he nodded toward Lilith, "Fucking morons! I guess your vampire senses sure as hell aren't acute."

Of course, he'd know Lilith was a pureblood, but she's fooled everyone else and now they were believing that he was just stalling his imminent death. I was a little more surprised that he made no mention to out Damon for being a hunter because I knew he must have smelled the vampire blood running in his veins.

Possibly a misfortune? Maybe he was aligned with this vampire's coven and he couldn't do anything to stop this, but also wanted to remain hidden?

These twisted events and players entering the playing field were raising my awareness level tenfold. A small light inside of me continued to pulse with life, electric blue energy swirling around my aura and readying myself just in case things went south and Icarus' life was put at risk.

Until the virus was proven effective, he was still my varið.

The second it proved the whole world right, that this virus would kill this species...my assignment would end, and my contract archived. I'd no longer feel it within my heart to protect his life as I'd be called to my Link instead.

Is it wrong of me that I hoped Icarus was wrong in completing his research?

I...

My thoughts drifted first to Harlan, the way he made me feel wasn't just out of this lustful nature, but it felt like an invisible thread already was weaving the two of us closer together. I wanted to be closer to him, to be with him alone, to understand everything.

I don't want my Link.

I don't want Thaddeus...

But...I guess it doesn't really matter what I want. Fate's already dealt me a very cruel hand and now I'm torn between fulfilling my duties as an angel and falling in love with a creature who is the very embodiment of evil.

"Please, just shut him up," Whitney was irritated, Icarus adjusting the needle and making sure the virus capsule was properly in place before advancing toward the vampire.

"I'm in agreement with Mr. Holt," Lilith's eyes met with Icarus', the silent thought didn't need to be spoken, "The needle is sliver, so you shouldn't have a problem with piercing his flesh and having him try to force the needle out."

She thought of absolutely everything.

While Icarus positioned himself on the right side of the vampire, Lilith stood just off to the side on the left. He took hold of the vampire's lower arm, readying the needle to pierce the skin when the vampire glowered at Lilith, "I still have no idea why you would ever allow this type of weapon to be created within even a hundred feet of your personal vicinity."

Lilith narrowed her eyes and scoffed, "I'm not like you and it won't affect me in the slightest. Would you like a demonstration?"

Icarus flickered his eyes up and his mouth gaped open, "W-What?"

Lilith's smirk put Ayanna off, searching her for the reasoning behind this almost challenge. She sighed and rolled up her sleeve to reveal her exposed forearm, "Go ahead Ms. Skye, please prep the other needle with the same dosage that Mr. Rewan is about to inject that vampire with."