Book 7⌇6. Fluffy Wings

Chapter 6 ∣  Fluffy Wings

-Harlan

How the hell could this have happened?

I slammed my fist into the wall of the hotel room I had been using while waiting for my long-awaited and mysterious mate to make his or herself known...and it's a bloody angel! After standing around like a stunned idiot, I finally recovered but it was too late, and the angel was long gone before I could get a chance to say anything.

Didn't even get a second to explain-

Well, no shit, you told me not to have fun with her and then she turns out to be our mate...yea, you sure made quite the first impression with her. You know, she only thought you were trying to kill her, no big deal.

Growling lowly and staring at the hole that had been left behind by my fist, I couldn't argue with him. He was right, it was my decision and I must take full responsibility. I just didn't expect her to be a fuckin' angel...how the hell is that supposed to work?

My nostrils flared as my anger continued to brew at how I was deceived. The angel was guarding that human...Icarus, but why and how was her connection projected through him?

Let's not forget there is another...problem.

The witch?

That became obvious after that woman used her magic to free Icarus from my tail, but she ran instead of staying to fight like every other goody-two-shoes that wants to take out any evil poisoning this world. I should have realized it right then and there, but it took me a while to process everything that was happening.

I have a hunch her close 'friends' don't even know about her identity. She's not a threat, just a nuisance.

Releasing the tension from my fingers, allowing my fist to go slack, I finally took a long and deep breath. Collapsing on the edge of the bed, I pressed the tips of my fingers on either hand against one another, trying to think over what my next move would be. If I am to accept her as my mate...I'm not even sure what that means.

Well, we know she's protecting the human, so stake him out and force her to appear again.

Wow, if only I'd thought of that...because that's just so simple!

I rolled my eyes and huffed, rising to my feet and heading toward the bedroom door. The thought had crossed my mind earlier, but the only way she's going to appear is if I'm a threat and I'd rather not like to cause anymore animosity between us before we've even had a chance to speak properly.

At least I knew where Icarus walked to work, so I'd decided to just stay in incorporeal form and follow him.

Having to wait the following day for him to walk his usual path, I found myself paying closer attention to the street at which we ran into one another. There were many people, the city bustling and busy with everyday life, but I finally homed in and was able to pinpoint his energy, his aura radiating from a few blocks down before he finally showed his face. A much different air about him was easily detected, the slight apprehension and fear were enough to make me attack him in general...but I'm sure my new lady friend would appreciate the sentiment.

My leathery wings beat the air around me while I floated a good fifteen feet in the air, watching him as he glanced over his shoulder. I smirked at the unwarranted fear, it was rather amusing and after our last encounter, I knew he really was nothing special, just an ordinary human. Though the witch with dirty blonde hair and emerald eyes was walking alongside him this evening, her own aura pulsating with life and allowing energy to flow both ways.