Book 7⌇8. Inside Voices

Chapter 8 ∣  Inside Voices

-Harlan

I can't fucking see her, but she can see me...that's bullshit. I'm calling bullshit! And...I don't even know her name.

I watched alongside fluffy wings from afar. She'd given me no time at all to understand what this place is, aside from the fact that it's an institute hell-bent on riding the world of supernatural creatures. Though, they were far more focused on disposing of the werewolves and vampires than anything else.

Werewolves...yea I can see they aren't totally trying to mass genocide the species, but more of an insurance policy in case they decide to get any big ideas. Always helps to have a weapon in case your enemy unleashes theirs.

"I swear," the human named Whitney started to grumble under his breath at his desk, "If Damon misses another day..."

"What?" That witch arches a brow from her higher-level platform desk area thingy she was working with and leaned against the railing, "You'll do what? You don't even know why he's out."

"Do you?" Whitney swiveled in his chair and shot her an angry glare.

Mortals fighting...oh joy...we must sit here and listen to squabbling to get to-

At least we have some type of arrangement. We're going to use the time to sway her and you better stop fucking it up with your-

I? Me? Did I fuck it up? Psh, fluffy wings is all for it...just push her a little further and-

"Of course, she doesn't," the sound of the woman, Lilith, who is the head of the institute came waltzing through the doors and brought me from my own argument. She turned her gaze to Whitney and sighed, "Mr. Galver is taking a leave of absence due to a family emergency. Please, if you have questions, Mr. Holt, let me know."

Ayanna backed away from the railing, her eyes quickly passing over that bloody human who keeps getting in my way...

The ultimate cock block...

It won't be an issue, she doesn't have any actual feelings for Icarus, just her mission, job, plan, whatever. This is only temporary.

Oh, that's right! Thank you for clarifying that! It appears we only must worry about this...link...what the hell is that?

"Icarus," Ayanna spoke after Lilith left Whitney to frustratedly look over his papers. Icarus lifted his head and she continued, "Hey, can you help me really quick?"

"Sure thing," the redhead smiled and got up from his chair. After walking up those steps to the witch's lair, he glanced down at everything she had strewn out on the top of her desk. Bottles, instruments, and chemicals were some of the many items she had, her eyes sparking to life when Icarus in took his breath sharply.

Icarus lowered his voice when he saw the book, she had laid open, even I knew he couldn't possibly know what she was researching...

...if only he knew.

"Ayanna...what's this?" Icarus asked quietly, checking over his shoulder and the railing to see that Whitney was cursing just under his breath. It appears that he's not very competent at his job, maybe hiring someone more useful should be at the top of the vampire's list.

Oh, that's right! They don't even fucking know they're working for a pureblood. That's just rich, I wonder what she's up to...this Lilith...

"Look, I need to explain a few things to you..." her voice trailed off, adjusting the eyewear she had on the top of her head and placed it carefully on the bridge of her nose.