Book 7⌇9. Love Doesn't Exist

Chapter 9 ∣  Love Doesn't Exist

-Isis

I would have never thought that Ayanna would have been so upfront with Icarus. Revealing what she is to him...and now the obvious connection on both their parts, it put me in a bit of an awkward situation. In the time that I've watched over my varið, he hasn't once been out on a date with solely a woman. Sure, he's been out with his coworkers, but that was entirely a group scene for them, but now that I was standing on the upper-level seating area of a hotel bar, I almost felt weird watching him.

Harlan sat across from me at a small table, making sure to keep us just out of sight, but close enough that if anything were to happen, I could jump in and assist Icarus. When I glanced at the incubus, his own eyes were searching the room and I couldn't help but wonder exactly what was running through his head.

It was moments before Icarus and Ayanna were ready to leave work that he asked me if he could sway the mortals to come here. Apparently, this was the place he was staying while searching for his one and only soulmate.

I'm not it. No matter what he says...

...I'm an angel, we don't have permanent ties, but he insists that I am his.

I did promise I would try to understand and get to know him so long as it doesn't take away from my varið. I had to applaud him for staying all evening with me watching over Icarus, it was already a thought in the back of my mind that he wouldn't want to work this hard and that he'd just up and leave if he was bored.

He must have been, but he stayed.

With his eyes on the room, he asked me, "So...fluffy wings...where do we begin?"

I sighed, "First, stop calling me that."

"Fluffy wings?" He questioned, his gaze falling away from the bar and turning toward me and with a sly smirk on his face he stated, "I have to call you something considering you haven't even given me your name yet."

Oh, that's right. I guess it really was my own fault, but I just didn't want him to know anything more about me. It's dangerous, names hold so much power and for him to even give me his, that shocked me.

"If you really must know, it's Isis," I leaned against the table, while Harlan picked up the glass and took a swig of the dark liquid. I don't understand why people drink...it only inhibits your senses.

After he brought the glass away from his lips and set it down, he smirked, "Isis. I like that," he continued to stare at me, something flashing across his eyes before he finished, "but I think I might have become attached to fluffy wings."

"Why are you so irritating?" I breathed out quickly and pushed away from the table. I leaned back against the chair, my feathery wings folded flat as I could feel Icarus and Ayanna's life.

"Entertaining would be a more accurate word," he chuckled and then asked, "what do you do when you're not watching over a varind?"

I huffed at his continued ignorance. I replied, "We exist to perform miracles when mortals least expect it. We can be found enjoying a good rest after a twenty-four-seven watch of a varið in the Celestial Vale, or in my case," I wasn't entirely sure how I completely felt about reproducing with my hand-selected Link, but telling everything to this demon, it got me thinking about a lot of different things, "...I'll be taking a brief leave of any assignment to continue the angel population with my Link."

Harlan's nostrils flared at my response, somehow seeing Thaddeus as a threat possibly. When he did decide to respond to me, he said, "I think we need to have a little discussion about this whole 'Link' thing that you keep going on about."