Book 7⌇11. Let's Play House

Chapter 11 ∣  Let's Play House

-Isis

It just doesn't make any sense for the hunters to have come after Icarus...unless they're aligned with the vampires and someone from that coven caught wind of what he was researching. I've only seen maybe one or two in passing and on previous assignments, but this was shocking when they went after him.

Now, it was time to do something I've never done before...communicate with my varið. Icarus stood right alongside Ayanna, his eyes searching mine with questions and only some of those questions did I hold the answers to. The others...we'd have to figure them out together. At least if he was able to accept my explanation and existence, the reasoning behind why I protected him with my life, maybe we could all work and figure this out together.

"Icarus," I began and sighed with hesitation. This was new to me, speaking to the mortals I protected. Even back in the alley when Harlan had attempted to make an advancement on him, I made myself known and that shouldn't have happened. Taking it from the beginning I said, "My name is Isis and I'm a guardian angel and more specifically, your guardian angel. I was assigned to protect you from dangers that would threaten your very existence."

I wasn't sure if I should elaborate further on that point, but that decision was no longer mine when he asked, "Why me?"

"The research you are doing," I guess I couldn't avoid delving deeper into that topic, "It would either kill the vampires of this world...or..." my gaze shifted and I hadn't noticed until now that Harlan was also staring at me, his arms crossed in front of his chest. He must know what I'm talking about...he would have known from residing on the other plane.

"...or?" Icarus pressed even further.

Before I could say anything else, Harlan stepped in for me and noted, "If something doesn't want to die, it runs and tries to find a safe place. Unfortunately for them, there is no safe place. Their choices would either be to die here on Earth or escape back to the Dominion Plane in Hell and face judgment for escaping, to begin with."

I really couldn't have said it better myself, however, I did add, "Vampires seem powerful in this world like nothing can take them down aside from the hunters which they inadvertently created and maybe a few powerful werewolves, but that's only because they're stronger than others. In Hell, they are hardly above the status of a slave. There are much stronger demons that reside in their plane of existence, so it's no surprise they ran and escaped their destined fate. I can't blame them for wanting to be free, but to invade and plague this world by destroying innocent lives...it can't continue and it shouldn't have gone on for as long as it did," I paused, Harlan, not having objected once to what was being proposed.

I then let out a brief sigh of relief, "but that's where your research can make an impact in this world for mortals...you can help save the lives of many. True, vampires are not as ruthless as they once were toward mortals...but every creature really is animalistic at heart and it would take for just the right circumstances for this world to fall back into chaos."

"Look at you fluffy wings," Harlan's voice held admiration in it, something I wasn't quite used to now. However...fluffy wings was now slowly becoming a term of endearment and I realized he wasn't trying to make fun of me. Inwardly, I smiled at the way he was genuinely trying and by saving Icarus and Ayanna, it really did put into perspective that he's serious in winning my heart. It was a strange feeling, but I was growing to like it.

Icarus eyed me and then his gaze landed on Harlan as he accused, "He's a demon...why aren't you sending him back to Hell?"

"Uhm," I was at a loss for words. Honestly, even when I tried to explain it in my head, it just wouldn't come out right because even I didn't fully understand why I just didn't call for the sentinel angels to assist me.