He's My Mate! Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Kisses in Detention

I snatched my books from his hands, leaving him startled, still staring at me. I exited the class not at once looking back,afraid of what I might do if he kept looking at me like that.

"What was that all about?" Jess asked as I closed the classroom door, heading to our next class.

"Oh so now you're talking." I said the first thing that I thought would get me out of her interrogation.

"Well...let's just say, Will has a way of cheering me up." I presumed Will was the guy he ran to after class. Best male friend of hers I think. Then on the one hand, she was best friends with the entire school.

"Avoiding my question?" she asked after a moment of silence.

"It really was nothing. He was just not happy that I forgot to do my work." I said, unable to explain Mr Garner's reaction.

"Uhhh...so there is something. I can't wait till...oh fuck I forgot to tell you." She looked at me with suggestive eyes. She really did look troubled. Although she was smiling and giggling, I could tell something was off with her.

"Lucas will be driving you home today,I have to go see a doctor. And he'll be escorting you to your classes since he got the same timetable as ours. After this class, I'll be off."

"Why him?" of all the things she said, that was the only thing I could pick out. She was trying to hook us up and it was not gonna work, but I didn't wanna tell her that. Afraid I'd disappoint her. Lucas was another one of Jess' guy friends who I briefly met on the first day.

"He didn't mind when I asked him and i didn't bother asking anyone else. But if you'd like I can ask..."

"No, no, it's cool. Thanks." I said, not wanting to bother her, besides Lucas looked like a decent guy.

We headed to our next class silently. It was quite strange if anything because she couldn't keep her mouth shut the yesterday. This was not the Jess that I preferred. I could still see that something was troubling her.

After class, we said our goodbye and I was on my way to my next class with Lucas, who looked rather pleased to be taking over Jess' role as my 'map'.

"So,what was your previous school like?" he asked.

"Uhm...cool I guess, it wasn't all bad. School is school hey." I really didn't know how to answer that one. Except my previous school was not really your average human-filled institution, half the students and some staff were of our kind, and it although it was normal there, I knew here things were different. Here, people really didn't believe in those sort of fantastical stuff.

"Oh,okay." He said giving me a warm smile.

He was really cute. Dimples and sparkly hazel eyes. But he was not... him.

I spent the rest of the day with him,even went to the cafeteria to have lunch with him. He introduced me to some of his friends and they also were decent people. He was never pushy about anything, if he asked me a question and I didn't answer it, he'd just let it go. He was also incredibly smart, which was somewhat attractive.