He's My Mate! Chapter 13

Chapter 13: Re-Union

I watched as Mr Garner walked away with Julia, he whispered something in her ear and she giggled, stirring me to get even more angrier or was it jealousy? God, this was frustrating.

I had  no doubt that my eyes had changed color from their normal ocean blue to dark, given just how much I was feeling toward him. When Jess turned to look at me awed by the oh-so -amazing Mr Garner and his beautiful fiancée , she gasped when she caught sight of the difference.

''Are your eyes always like this?'' she asked confused. I blinked rapidly , trying hard as I may to calm myself down.

''I don't know what you're talking about.'' I retorted, hoping and praying that the deep breaths I was taking were calming my emotions down.

''I swear your eyes turned ... Never mind.'' she blew the thought away and I sighed deeply, relieved.
That was close.

''Let's go to class before we lend ourselves in detention for being late.'' I said, taking her hand and dragging her to our next class. We got to class to find a few students already in and we took our seats at the back of the class.

"Is it me or are you edgy today?" Jess asked after we settled down on our seats.

"It's gotta be you, I feel perfectly fine." I replied, pulling out my books from my bag. Edgy wasn't even word enough to encapsulate the ocean of emotions twirling inside of me.

"And the growl?" Her eyebrows went up enquiringly as she looked at me, she really was one curious cat.

"What growl? Are you okay?" I asked her, acting dumb.

"Never mind, I'm just...anyways, did you see her! Omg! I swear Mr Garner is one lucky man. I mean, did you see her? They're like so perfect together. He's like this goddess of a man and she's, well she's that." Jess practically squealed like a crazy fan girl over Julia.

"Goddess of a man? What does that even mean?" I did not like this conversation one bit.

I didn't know what to say, I just looked at her, keeping my fake smile on as she went on and on, raving about how beautiful Julia was and how she fit him perfectly because they were both beautiful people and they're going to have cute babies.

"But as weird as this may sound, there's just something about her. I know she's lovely and all that but something was off about her, like she..." Jess trailed off, not knowing what else to say. I couldn't even relate to what she was saying. For all I know, Julia could pass as an angel.

"Do you get what I'm talking about? She's just too nice to be that nice in like, real life. I don't know, I'm probably not making sense but whatever." she looked at me thoughtfully.

How was I suppose to even make sense of what she was saying when I was too busy trying to gain my composure? And in any case,if there was anything off about her,my inner animal would have sensed it or at least it should have.

"I don't know, maybe it's because she's English. I think they looked good together." I shrugged, the words coming out of my mouth like poison. They looked good together, how I hated admitting that.

"I know that...it's just that she seemed..."
"Quiet, reserved, withdrawn." I finished the sentence for her.

Admitting to myself that they were good together made me see the possibility of never getting a chance with him. Julia was a beautiful lady and I had no doubt that she made him happy, or at least he looked happy. I didn't want him to be happy with her.

"I don't know hey. Maybe it's just me, I know for a fact that Mr Garner would never marry her unless he's in love with her and that's what's important I guess." she concluded, like he knew him well enough to make that conclusion. I was about to tell her to drop the subject when the teacher arrived, commanding the class to order and saving my pity ass from anymore of Jess' analysis of the happy couple.