Rats on a Train

✖️✖️✖️✖️

"Okay guys. The next phase of your training is handling extreme climates." Donald stated to the trio, "So we'll frost Chase, bake Bree, and submerge Adam. That's not part of the training. I just got one of those carnival dunk tanks and I can't wait to try it out."

Chase ran inside his capsule as Donald continued, "Okay, Chase. I'm setting your tank to Antarctic. If it gets to be too much, just give me a sign."

"Bring it." Chase said as his tube powered up.

"Hey, that's not fair. I wanna be abused by the weather." Leo commented.

"Leo, if you really wanna be abused, try standing over here next to Adam's morning breath." Bree replied.

"I don't have morning breath." Adam objected, "It smells like that every day."

"Leo, they're genetically engineered to handle these kinds of climates. You're not." Donald pointed out.

"I can handle extreme cold." Leo said.

"Leo, you get brain freeze from chewing mint gum." I reply in amusement.

Donald's phone rang then as he answered it, "Davenport. What?! That's terrible! I mean, that's awesome, but that's terrible! I gotta do something." He paced away from the cyberdesk and then hung up.

"What's going on?" I start.

"What's so terrible?" Adam finished.

"Well, I created the world's fastest train and now it's speeding out of control full of highly explosive Nuclonium towards downtown Welkerville!" Donald answered.

"Then what's so awesome?" Bree asked.

"It's going like 400 miles an hour." Donald answered as we looked at each other impressed and amused. "My entire career is riding on this- or perhaps crashing on this train. My design was flawless." He began typing on the computer.

"So flawless you forgot to include an emergency brake?" Leo remarked.

"No. I never counted on the conductor to drop his papaya smoothie all over the controls and then jumping off the train." Donald replied.

"Well, if I was to build a train, the first thing I would put on would be a cup holder. Ooh, and one of the bumper stickers on the back that says I brake for cows." Adam said.

"You know when stuff like this happens, they always blame the scientist. This is human error. Scientists don't make mistakes." Donald commented just as Chase tapped on his frozen glass of the capsule. "Chase. Now I have to explain the whole train story again."

We went back over to his capsule and the cyberdesk to let him out.

***

"The good news is, whenever I invent something I always create a backup device to support it." Donald said walking quickly to the cyber desk and setting a big black bag on top of it.

"As opposed to building it right the first time," I remark sarcastically but smiled innocently at Donald who glared at me.