Chapter 2

From Jace's Perspective

Cal and Austin entered the conference room. They bowed, showing their respect towards my position as Alpha. I inclined my head at each of them in turn, first towards Cal, then Austin.

They quickly took a seat at the table.

"Speak, Cal," I ordered.

"Alpha, we have come across a loner on our territory," Cal began.

"Yes. And what does this have to do with me?" I growled.

"Well..."

"Why have you not followed protocol?"

"Well, Alpha..."

"What is so special about this wolf that you came to me?" I snarled.

"Well, Alpha, this loner..."

I stood up. Cal and Austin followed.

"Show me where this "special" wolf is."

"Yes, Alpha," They answered in unison before leading me out.
* * *
From Silas's Perspective

I was up before the door was open. I returned to my previous position on the wall.

I sensed the power radiating off the Alpha. He was outside. I couldn't help the shiver of fear as I waited for him to enter.

I closed my eyes. Waiting. Waiting for the orders of the Alpha.

I heard the conversation outside the door. "We didn't kill the loner..."

The door slammed open with brute force.

"Because she's a female."

I felt the wide-eyed state of the Alpha. I didn't move. Didn't dare to move out of fear of his authority.

What I heard next shocked me.

"Mate," the Alpha said in a whisper.

I didn't respond. I knew this trick. I knew the consequences if I made any sound.

Following usual protocol, I slowly slid down the wall onto my knees. I felt the stares of the men as I slowly turned toward the Alpha. I carefully kept my gaze downward as I lowered my head to the floor in a bow.
* * *

From Jace's Perspective

I knew she was my mate. I didn't even have to see her face to know she was mine. I knew something was wrong when I walked in and she was on the wall. Exposing her back. Not acknowledging me or anyone in the room.

Then she started moving. I hoped she would turn and face me. I wanted to see her face.

It surprised me even more when she slid down the wall to the floor. She turned towards me and put her forehead to the ground.

It was a bow. A submissive gesture. And it made me sad.

"Stand up." It came out as a growl.

She stood up quickly, but left her head down.

"Face me," I ordered.

She lifted her face and opened her eyes.
* * *
From Silas's Perspective

I opened my eyes at his orders. I kept my glance downwards and slowly surveyed the man before me.
My view began with a pair of loose fitting jeans. They were not ripped, as I had expected, but new. They were a dark blue. I lifted my gaze upwards to find a buttoned shirt tucked into his pants.

I lifted my eyes to his face. He had a strong jawline covered in a light coating of black stubble. His lips were light pink and pressed into a hard line. He had a perfect nose, not crooked or broken as I expected. His black hair was cropped short, and looked soft to the touch. But his eyes were what stopped me.

They were a deep, emerald green. They reminded me of the forest, and I was surprised at the excitement in them.
I felt something snap into place. It reminded me of my place in this world. I averted my gaze and focused on his lips.

"You're mine," he snarled.