Chapter 12

This is another short chapter, but LOTS of important stuff happens. I can't wait to publish the next chapter, but you all will have to wait a few days. ;)  Enjoy! 

From Silas's Perspective

I sat on the bed as my Mate slowly leaned forward and caressed my head with his hands. He gently  wiped away the tears that trickled down my face with a care that made my wolves purr. He slowly leaned forward until our foreheads rested against each other.

"Silas," he whispered, his breath smelling like pine needles and snow, "I will never hurt you. You can trust me."

Jace leaned forward and pressed his lips against mine with a gentle passion that made my wolves howl. I kissed him back, all my fears gone for the moment.

I lost control, my wolves instinctively drawing my body to my Mate. He pulled back and I pressed myself closer, unable to draw myself away.

I leapt off the bed onto Jace and wrapped my legs around his torso. There was a passion, an anger, burning deep inside of me. My wolves knew, I knew, that this was what we wanted. What we needed.

Jace looked up at me, passion burning in his beautiful green eyes. I leaned my head down, hoping, for once, that a male would kiss me again. But, as always, my hopes were only dreams.

My Mate turned his face away, letting my lips land on his cheek. I turned his face, searching, desperately, for his lips. I pressed mine down on his only to be met with resistance.

With a shudder, Jace pulled himself away. It felt like rejection from this male that was so clearly mine. 

* * *

From Jace's Perspective

Silas jumped on me, her need burning desperately in her eyes.

It was hard, so very hard, for me not to take her, to mark her, right then and there. But, I reminded my wolf, she is angry. She is sad. She is not thinking straight.

I pulled myself away, my heart tearing as I watched sadness envelope Silas's face. A low whimper came from her, tearing my heart further, as I stood up and moved away. From her. From the only female I've ever known and loved. From my Mate.

"Silas," I said gently. "Don't do this. Don't do this now. Please."

"Why not?" she asked, her voice sad. "Don't you love me?"

"Silas," I said, stepping forward against my better judgement, "of course I love you."

"Then why won't you take me?" she asked, anger burning in her voice.

"Because you are angry. And sad. You are not thinking straight." I paused. "How do I know you really want this?"

"You're right," Silas hissed, her eyes still dark. "You don't know. You don't know anything."

"Your eyes are black, Silas. I know you. You are my Mate, for goodness sake. How could I not know."

She growled, her eyes dark; her wolves mistrusting.

"Don't be mad, Mate," I whispered.

"I'm not mad, Alpha," Silas growled, her voice deep and monotone. The voice of her wolves.

 "I'm furious."

Before I could react or do anything to comfort this poor Mate of mine, Silas shoved past me and ran outside into the forest.

* * *

From Silas's Perspective

This is what you get, my wolves chided, for trusting a male.

I could not handle it. Any of it. 

The one male I wanted did not want me.

I did not want the one male that wanted me, if only for my "powers".

This Pack did not want me.

My Pack did not want me.

I did not want me.

Only my wolves wanted me. 

In this world of deceit, power, destruction, murder, the only ones that want me were the ones in my head.

Then again, I thought, why not give my wolves what they want? Why not succumb to their beckoning, once and for all? It is all I have left. This one choice, was mine. So why not?

I smiled, this last choice seeming like my only option left. 

In the middle of the forest, away from the Mate that did not want me, and towards the Moon Goddess, so high above, I crouched. And I shifted.

With all my anger, sadness, happiness, lust, disappointment, fear, and hope, I shifted.

And I ran.