seventeen

Lily stood with Sarah by the lockers, "I'm getting my hair done after school," Erica said, joining them, "You two wanna come?"

"Why are you getting a makeover for the yearbook photo? Vampires don't show up on film," Sarah replied, grabbing some books out of her locker.

"I know, but this would've been my first hot yearbook photo ever," Erica sighed, "The others were..."

"Not the best photo of you," Sarah finished for her.

"I don't care if everybody else can't see it, I'll know I looked good, so Lily, do you wanna come shopping with me?"

"Uh, I don't know, shopping's not really my thing," Lily replied, shrugging.

Erica groaned, "What about you, Sarah? Don't you care?"

Sarah sighed, "I don't know, I kind of just wish I could forget this whole year,"

"Hey, Sarah," Ethan said, as he joined the girls at Sarah's locker, "A girl just asked me if she could trust me, what does that mean? Is it a trap?"

"What does that mean?" Sarah asked.

"What do you mean?" Ethan retorted.

"Sarah, you have got to stop hanging out with him, you're turning into the same person. Before you know it, you'll be reading comic books and snorting when you laugh," Erica said. Ethan purposely snorted in response as Erica rolled her eyes.

"Hannah price just asked me if she could trust me, can she?" Ethan asked, looking slightly worried.

"Can she?" Sarah echoed.

"I can't watch this happen," Erica sighed, "Are you sure you don't want to come and get a makeover with me?" she said, turning to Lily.

"Positive," Lily smiled, as Erica walked away.

"If she wants to trust you with something, it probably means she likes you," Sarah told Ethan, with a grin on her face.

"Really? What do I do?" he replied, looking from Lily to Sarah.

"Just see what happens," Lily shrugged.

"Yeah, think of it like an experiment," Sarah told him.

"Good idea, I need to collect more data," Ethan said as he walked away. Lily and Sarah turned to each other and laughed, and when Sarah snorted, they laughed even more.

--

"And then, she started swearing. Some of them were like, double swears! She got pretty creative," Ethan explained to Lily and Sarah as they walked down the hall, he was telling them about his latest encounter with Hannah.

"Did she smile?" Sarah asked.

"Kinda, when she thought I was gonna cry," Ethan said, slightly cringing.

"Yep, she likes you," Lily replied.

"But how can she change so fast?" Ethan asked.

"A lot of things do, too fast," Sarah said, looking upset.

"What's wrong?"

"It's silly, I'm just upset that I won't be in the yearbook photo," she sighed, "It makes me realise how much has changed,"

Lily and Ethan nodded in reply, then said goodbye to her as the bell went. Luckily, Lily's next class was with Ethan and Benny, so it wouldn't be as boring as all her other classes.

--

"So this morning, Hannah was really nice to me and asked if she could confide in me," Ethan explained to Benny.