thirty-eight

The group sat watching a news report, before Erica walked in, soaking wet.

"Erica? What happened to you?" Ethan asked.

"You guys are the ones with your finger on all that's weird around here, you tell me!" she snapped, "I was driving the freshmen through the carwash in the back of my dad's pickup-"

"You drove them through a carwash?" Lily echoed.

"Well, after she made them all roll around in manure, someone had to hose them off," Ethan chuckled.

"Right! And then something huge and scaly jumped out of the pipes and attacked me! It was some kind of mutant alligator thing, and it came out biting, now I know how my food feels, and I don't like it!" she finished, sighing.

"Are the girls okay?" Sarah asked.

"They're fine! My new leather jacket is trash though,"

"Hey guys, looks like they found Thor's buddy," Ethan said, pointing to the news report they were watching.

"This just in, the two-hundred and fifty-pound gator was captured at a local pool after a close encounter with a mother and her toddler. The rampage reptile was heavily sedated and sent to a local zoo for testing, local officials say all city pools are now considered safe and gator-free."

"Well, that's both my little guys, it's all over," Rory smiled, "Who wants pretzels?"

Benny grinned and immediately raised his hand, Rory high-fiving him.

Erica rolled her eyes, "That's not the one that attacked me, the one that I saw was bigger than that," she stated.

"That means Thor didn't have a buddy," Benny pointed out, looking slightly confused, "He had a special lady," he realised, "They're breeding, and if Erica's right, them babies ain't pretty."

Rory grinned, "Yes! I'm a matchmaker,"

Ethan's eyes widened, "We're talking about an entirely different species, one capable of incredible strength, of growing to who knows what size," he sighed, "The possibilities are endless,"

"And thanks to the dork squad, they're lose in our city's sewer system," Sarah groaned, as her phone started ringing, "Erica, are you calling me?"

Erica frowned before checking her pockets, "No, ugh darn it! That swamp thing must've taken my new phone when it tried to bite my arm off, I just got that phone,"

"Let me guess, you got it when you tried to bite off someone else's arm," Lily asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, it's a 6G!"

"You need to stop stealing from your dinner guests okay? You're gonna draw too much attention to yourself," Sarah pointed out, as Erica shrugged.

"Fine," she rolled her eyes, "They're just souvenirs,"

As Ethan's phone vibrated he reached into his back pocket to get it, "Is the gator stomach-calling you again?" Lily chuckled.

"No," he sighed, "Stomach-texting actually, but I just got an idea," he said, as he got off the couch, Lily, Benny, and Rory following him up to his room.

--

"Okay, as long as Erica's phone is still in the alligator's stomach-"

"Then we call anyone who got eaten and find out where they were," Benny finished, walking towards Ethan's computer.

"That would never work, the reception inside an alligator would be, like, one bar max," Rory stated, also walking over to Ethan's computer, and standing next to Lily.