Chapter 4

Chapter 4

If I see fear, should I be repulsed I caused that fear or anger or hate? It’s a simple question to answer but it requires two sides and I can only see one. I am a slave owner. I’ve caused both.

November thirtieth 1795, London England

The year of our Lord.

Diary of William Blake,

Fear enclosed her body, it wrapped its hungered self tightly around Katherine as she looked at the man in front of her and the words danced madly in her mind. She had always been in possession of an overactive imagination and she could imagine with the black swirls of the negative emotion touching her body.

In reality it was a cloak that the man was wearing, and he had draped it over her body. She had not held onto it, she did not want to crinkle it but she wasn’t use to the cold of travelling outside. She had woken up and she was still moving in the carriage, her eyes opened, taking in everything she could see. She then turned around to the man, the man who had bought her and was smiling warmly at her.

“We’re in London, my house is here,” He explained to her and she nodded but then snuggled into the couch again.

She recognized the man from the picture in the newspaper and she did not know whether it was a good thing or bad. It was a scary coincidence that she had seen his picture only a week ago and now he owned her. The article did say that he was use to travelling and was a frequent visitor of Russia, maybe he travelled around England too. His driver seemed to know the route his master preferred and how to get there quickly.

They had arrived at a townhouse in the center of London. She had passed a river, The River Thames, and seen so much more of outside than she had ever had. She wished she could see more of London, but she was content in looking around in awe.

Her owner did not speak to her again; he continued reading for a while and then began to hum to himself. She had been comfortable until the carriage had arrived at a small looking city townhouse. It was a three story house, it towered above the rest of the houses, and being at the end of the road it also had a fancy fence and led to some gardens.

The carriage had stopped and Katherine still afraid had refused to come out. The driver had tried, she had whimpered and cried. William had shaken his head but knew he had more chance hurting her if he forced her out. “You must be hungry and tired,” He had coaxed her.

She had cried some more and hugged herself. William had then looked around the empty street and decided that a promise of no punishment and a good home would get her out. Of course eventually she had no choice, and dirty and sad, she had slid out the carriage.

He had then led her up the small steps and unlocked his house door. He said goodbye to his driver, and the carriage headed back in the direction of the town. He had then looked at Katherine and ushered her in, locking the door behind him.

William Blake or Master Blake as she should have referred him to walked quickly and lead her to a room in his home. Katherine paused and tried to look around the room when he outpaced her and she had to run to catch up. Unlocking a door with a key in his pocket he strode in and she slid in behind. Simply furnished with a bed including a mattress, a duvet pulled over it tightly and a window allowed light to stream in.

"This is your room." She sincerely nodded and looked at her new owner before bending her head down as she caught him gazing down at her. "I hope it is to your liking?"

He sounded brighter and kinder after they had entered the house. But she still did not trust him. She repeated her previous actions and looked up again seeing he expected a verbal answer. "Yes, Master Blake."