Chapter 32

MeepyM: Note at the end about sequel, trailer and a big thank you :) Enjoy!

This chapter is dedicated to CaNdYc0aT3D who is my new editor. Don't worry she hasn't edited this chapter yet. Her chapters are the ones which make sense XD. I have always been afraid of editors if I'm honest, just as me being afraid of showing my work. But, since I've already conquered one, might as well have another go. She is really nice, reliable and kind :D

Chapter 32

Small ripples in the water were noticeable in the water, as the River Thames became calmer. The feeling of calm floated down and entered Katherine’s soul as she realised, she was finally free. She had run away from Aaron Watson because she wanted a chance to be free.

Perhaps she hadn’t found a world of adventure, but she had been given the chance to do it properly. If she had run away and Watson had caught her, she shuddered as to think what he could do to her. He wouldn’t kill her. No. He was too sick to do that, but he would make sure she never forgot.

Now, she was a free black woman. She stood at the side of a man who treated her with respect and understanding. There had been moments where she was afraid, tired, hopeful. Now, it all seemed worth it, because nothing could compare to how happy she felt.

She resisted the urge to jump on the spot and hug him close. Donning a ladylike air which included a small but pleasant smile, straight posture, a distance between her and the male next to her, Katherine relaxed.

“William,” Still smiling, Katherine turned to William. She whispered. “Thank you. Thank you for letting me go. Most men wouldn’t show such heroism by doing so.”

William paused and put the ring away in his pocket again. He didn’t want to, but he needed to. “You’re welcome.” William said sadly. What hero felt like this? He knew it was selfish, but he wanted to ask her, he wanted to keep her close to him. He couldn’t say goodbye.

William caressed her face, brushing hairs from her face, resisting the urge to kiss her again. He had seen the distance she had created, but closed it by stepping forward again. She trembled in his caress, closing her eyes and enjoying the moonlight on her face.

“Have you ever felt like the world has turned upside down?” Katherine played with the cloth in her hand, admiring the beautiful material in her hands.

William nodded. “When I…”

“When you?” Katherine felt his guilt like it was weight on her shoulder, it moved like a shadow from one place to another. As William stood stiffly beside her, not making eye contact, she assertively asked the same question again.

“Nothing,”

Katherine turned back to the water, facing away from him. The breeze fluttered around them, whispering for him to use the little amount of courage he had to do it. There was an old man behind them, he looked at the couple, then the carriage, and hobbled on.

William didn’t know how to respond to her iciness, it was not something he was used to. He relished in her warm nature, he bathed in her laughing smile, he lived in her words. Only now, he felt disappointment, he heard her voice encouraging him to let it all out. He could finally get rid of the guilt which had plagued his soul for three years.

“When I killed someone,”

She sharply turned around, and clutched the edges of the rail. “When you did what?” She asked, her voice was deadly quietly.

“I killed Aaron Watson. His father was Aaron Watson senior.”

“You’re a murderer,” She narrowed her eyes. “You’re a murderer!” She screamed.