Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

I saw her happy. I couldn’t ruin that. I can provide laughter and friendship, if no love. Another man can do that instead. Many marriages are based on that anyway.

December the sixteenth 1795

The year of our lord

Diary of William Blake

+++

Katherine tried to avoid William for the whole day. She would give her master the privacy he required to dally with Miss Phillips. It was unfair to do more than she had, and Miss Phillips deserved all of William’s attention. A perfect husband for a perfect wife, unlike the dirt she was. Besides she was everything men looked for. Pretty, well-mannered and rich. Exactly what William wanted? So, as she cleaned the library, she ignored the laughs coming from the garden and continued with her work.

She feared him, she truly meant it, he allowed her to speak and now she had acted as if she was equal to him. He was correct, as usual, he owned her and there was nothing she could to that to change it, without being illegal. He was her master, and she would never forget her place. That was what all the pain had taught her, it remained longer than any time Watson had raped her.

He had saved her from Aaron Watson. Katherine Ayim you idiot! The one man and you dashed it back in his face. “You ungrateful, little girl,” Watson was right; she deserved nothing good in this world. She didn’t even deserve Watson, maybe there was a man out there worse than him…

But not William. William was the only thing on her mind, and she wished everything did not remind her of him. He had many books, so many she felt like even if she was stuck here alone, she would always have something to do. Even if it did not involve communicating on a humanly basis, many had their own voices as their only comfort and she could join them.  

She bit her lip as Julian came in. He smiled at her with such warmth that she felt even more hopeless. She knew she could not have him, have any man. The only man that had touched her was Lance and her previous master, the bastard. She hoped she could avoid them both like the scum they were.

Julian, he came into the sun filled room and brightened it a little more with his smile, and his wit. He looked at her as she dusted the same book with concern and touched his friend's hand gently. "That book will wear if you keep rubbing it so,"

She stopped her actions and put the book back in its place. She took out another book and Julian touched her arm again and she stopped rubbing her forehead. "You shouldn't stress yourself Katherine, if I were your husband I would punish you for overworking yourself so much."

Katherine whimpered automatically at punishment and turned away from him. "I'm sorry," He brushed a hair from her shoulder as he stood behind her. “I did not intend to offend you." She nodded but continued wiping the desk she had now begun working on. Julian turned to face her, two hands on his hips he shook his head playfully. "Katherine, you have the whole day off and what do you do?"

"Work," She shrugged.

"No you do relax, my friend." Julian smiled. "You deserve a prince Katherine, maybe a king if he can stop you overworking."

"But I am a slave," She ignored his kind words.

"Blake doesn't treat you like one. In fact he treats you better than all the servants here." Julian conferred.

“Can’t you remember what I said to him?” Katherine turned.

Julian could not reply. He agreed that she had made a mistake by saying that. But unlike Katherine who thought it was wrong because she was a slave, he thought it was bad because she had lied. Julian stared at her as she fought with her mind, silly woman.