Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

The meeting was good, I think. A day that was so full of arguments and problems, it felt unusual coming home to the luxuries that Katherine had laid out for me. I must thank her, she ached my soothing muscles and my tired mind.

December the first 1795, London England

The year of our lord

Diary of William Blake.

Katherine woke up, it was sunrise and it almost as if her body was programmed to awaken at sunrise. It had always been that she enjoyed the aloneness, and connection she had. The morning day gave her a boost of life, which nothing else could.

A new day, she would work quickly and then return to bed. Confirming that again in her mind she got out of bed and got ready for work. Brushing her hair with her fingertip she tied it up quickly and then laid her bed again. Desperately looking around for some cleaning items she sighed impatiently as she could not find any.  She looked underneath her bed, nothing. There was a chamber pot, a box which she had not opened and the dirt which she had slept in that night.

Walking to his room she knocked and concerned that there was no reply, opened the bedroom door

"Master Blake?" She looked around and the large room was empty. He must have gone out. Maybe to that club the lady had mentioned earlier. She thought and pleased she was alone headed back to bed.

Half way to her room she decided to go to the kitchen and see if she could find a water tap so she could bath herself. Searching around she saw there as several woolen cloths some smaller than the other. Moving them out the way she found the large, bronze sparkly pot. She picked it up and headed outside.

Looking past the household garden, in the corner of her eye she found a water pump and headed towards it. Turning on the tap she looked as the clear liquid flowed into the bowl. "How did I come to this?" She spoke to herself and looked up to the sky.

The floor was clear however the layer of snow had turned to ice and now it was difficult to walk smoothly. She hoped it wouldn’t drop it. The water continued to the top and Katherine switched it off before returning to the house, and boiled the water. "One day, one day I'll love again." She sung gently to herself.

Whilst waiting for the water Katherine decided to look around the garden properly. It was like the Garden of Eden that she had been told about.

There are a lot of plants and fruits...Katherine thought.

She ignored the arising memory in her mind and touched a hanging plant. There were also apples and she could see the roots of several root plants such as potatoes. She also could see a small herb garden; it reminded her of her mother. She taught her to crunch the herb before inhaling and how to use it in cooking.  She recognized several such as Rosemary and Thyme, and crunching she carried on her adventure. She could see some pretty plants. She knew one as Tulips but the rest were either the color of spilt blood or as pure as a maiden's nightdress.

She wasn't as pure as a maiden and it made her ashamed. She had been taught virtue was the best gift a woman like her could give, and now she couldn’t even do that for the man she would have permission to marry.

The water finished boiling and Katherine decided to change there, the heat of the kitchen was perfect and besides no one was here. Stripping herself of the long starchy brown dress, she removed her undergarments and used a cloth to cleanse herself.

Wiping her breasts, arms and legs she wrung the cloth out again and continued to cleanse herself. "One day I'll be home, have a home.” She continued her Acapella and got out the water before kneeling and washing her hair.