Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

She is slowly arriving. Slowly walking down the inevitable church isle, and I cannot stop her. Or is it that I will not stop her? God, I am a fool.

December ninth first 1795, London England

The year of our lord

Diary of William Blake.

William stared at his reflection in the window. He could see the snowflakes drift onto the ground yet he knew he would have to go out to work today. He enjoyed the warmth of his morning coat and wished that he didn’t have to remove the thick cotton off his body.

He stood in his study; he had been staring for so long and hadn’t eaten. Katherine had tried to coax William into eating. He had not spoken; he wished he could get her to be quiet. She was caring, and he felt more acknowledged more than he had been in a while, but so insistent and just like him she didn’t want to give up.

Katherine stirred the cup of coffee and passed it to William; he ignored it and left it before heading upstairs. Katherine went to the door and took a set of letters that Luis had delivered to William's house each day. “Sir?"

He grabbed the letters and ripped them open, the snow drifted onto his window pane and he sighed. "Dearest love, “It began.

I have missed you since your departure and pray you are still in good health. I will come to visit you my love, before we are married. I have missed you.

Yours forever,

Georgina Blake,

William scrunched the letter into his palm and binned it. The cheeky little chit! To sign off her letter with his family name! William threw it into the fire and watched it as the paper disheveled and turned ash.

He opened a letter from his secretary, the man asked if he was well and also reported the latest incidents and the future investments he should consider. William would go into the office and have a meeting, he was going to focus on his work and not desperate children.

Katherine was quietly standing in the doorway and dropped her gaze to the floor as he walked towards her. Thrusting the envelope under her face William snapped at her. "You will do as I have done with the rest of the letters from the Phillips household!"

"Bu-Yes, Master Blake," He pushed the empty envelope into her chest and left the house, slamming the door shut. He was stressed, Katherine noted.

Katherine wanted desperately to see who the letter was from. The envelope only had his name on it and gave no indication of the sender. She had not seen her owner in such a disheveled state before. His eyes narrowed with frustration, his lips pursed and his knuckles paled even more as they squeezed the letter.

Instead she focused on her chores, cleaning each room quickly she dusted the guests room and opened some windows.  Her long brown skirt swished around the house as she worked. This morning she had gone into the box William had given her, and picked a dress and skirt. There were two sets, but this morning Katherine had picked the deep brown skirt with lighter, brown stripes and its matching shirt. She had rolled the washed out brown shirt to its sleeves and it let her work easier.

Now she was preparing William a soup and bread she cooked a light meal of potatoes and steak pie, the smell drifted out of the kitchen. The use of thyme and rosemary meant the kitchen smelt warm and smoky. Her hands were covered in flour, and she was glad she had tied up her hair in a neat brown bun to keep it out of her way.

Katherine sat in the clean kitchen and wished she could go to sleep, but she did not know when he would return and if he found her idle, she knew she would be in trouble. Deciding to take whatever punishment he gave her, she fell asleep on the window pane.