Chapter 25

Chapter 25:

Sometimes life just gets in the way.

December the nineteenth, 1795. Kent, England.

The year of our Lord

Diary of William Blake

“Please relax Miss Ayim,”

“Yes sir,” She whispered, trying to unclench her stomach and slump her shoulders.

The doctor pressed a hand around her collar bone, in the direction of a necklace. It was a hard bone, and he would have been surprised if it was any different on this woman. He continued lower, on the neckline of her shift, and spoke softly to her, explaining what he was doing.

The candle flickered in the room, and the warm fire was still roaring. The scented candles brought a homely smell to the extravagant bedroom. And the chandeliers just added a crystal effect, rather than showing the latest wealth and fashion.

Katherine attempted to focus on the lights above her, the candles which burned brightly, rather than the doctor’s wandering hands. Once he reached her breast, she tensed again. “Relax Miss Ayim,” He warned. Not knowing her relation to Blake, he didn’t want to risk offending her. “I am going to touch your breast now Miss Ayim,”

He touched her breast, and watched as she squirmed. “Is it tender Miss Ayim?”

Katherine nodded, and he continued kneading, confirming that her breast were tender. Dr Smith then wrote some more in his notebook, and finally he pushed up her shift. He did not warn her because he knew this was the most difficult part of the examination, for a woman. She gasped and he continued going up her dress all the same.

After the initial shock, she obeyed his previous order and tried to make her body less rigid. She didn’t roll her shoulders like she normally did, but tried to mold herself into the soft pillows which were available. The heavy decorations did not take away from its comfort.

He felt around her stomach, and considering her figure, it was unusual. She had a considerably larger stomach and she had not gained much weight elsewhere on the rest of her body.

“Miss Ayim, have you had sexual intercourse with a man?” Katherine turned away and didn’t answer. “I am not here to judge, the legitimacy of the child can be discussed at a later time, but I need to know, for your health,”

“Please don’t make me answer,”

“I can help you Miss Ayim,” The doctor tactfully remove his hands from her body. He brought down her dress, and afterwards scribbled down some more in his notepad.

The laughter of children could be heard from below. Katherine, William, and all the other adult rooms were on the first floor. The children were directly above them, in their large dormitories. And as they, most likely, jumped on their beds, the thumps went directly down.

She listened for several seconds, she knew what sex was. Although she wasn’t very aware of everything in her life, she knew what sexual intercourse with a man was for. It was for reproduction, children, and for his pleasure. Watson had shown her that more than enough times, and she had cried after each time.

Always in private however, never had she cried in front of another person but herself. Even when her mother was alive, Katherine did not want to worry her and so she kept it to herself. But it hurt, and now she was impregnated with Watson’s baby.

How could she face a child, whose father was a slave owner?

She couldn’t bare her baby being a slave like her. Besides, she wasn’t prepared to be a mother and work, to explain to William Thomas Blake that she carried another man’s child.