Chapter 6

Dedication: IslandLily, you have made me feel like I have progressed in my writing and thanks for the boost when I needed it. 

The Girl With The Sunset Eyes

Chapter 6

I can tell that I have made mistakes and I will continue to do so. A fleeting shadow, a second hand and a fearing future is sometimes how I feel. If I told you, myself that the only reason I write in here is so one day, someone will not make the same mistakes I have, would you believe me?

December sixteenth 1796, London England

The year of our lord

Diary of William Blake.

It was an average morning, nothing spectacular, but then again that was what life had become to both Katherine and William. The sunlight streamed into the foyer. The foyer being large, white and tiled meant the light blazed into the eyes of those who walked through the foyer. The day had been chilly, and it reflected in the cool foyer. Katherine wished she could return to the warmth of her bed, and William felt like leaving to the heated parlour which was so close.

However, William had asked Katherine to complete this task, which hadn’t been done in a while and he felt guilty for leaving her alone to work for so long whilst he was in bed relaxing. Each and every step in his house needed to be cleaned so that he could lick his food from it. He wouldn’t leave her on her own and he sat, satisfying himself with a book, watching her. She had been working quietly, only speaking when she needed to walk past him or ask his permission for something.

Katherine continued scrubbing the tiles on the floor. She scrubbed in the foyer whilst William watched her, his eyes focused on a book he was reading. He hadn’t spoken to her but had sat on the stairs as she worked.

It was a routine day for everyone else, including Luis who arrived three hours after sunrise, every day. He entered foyer from the front door and greeted William warmly before focusing on the letters. “Post sir,”

“Luis, good morning,” William bound down the stairs towards the young child, with a smile.

Katherine stopped her work and turned around. Luis looked up and waved at her. She waved back before seeing Blake was watching, and she continued scrubbing. She was used to the boy and found him a good child. She had only seen the Watson children, and even though they were loveable they were little horrors compared to Luis Harrison.

William took the letters off the child and sliced it with the knife in his pocket. He quickly scanned over one, the confirmation of his nephew’s love and arrival into England. He shook his head fondly and opened the next one. He nodded quickly, and told Luis he would not need to take any letters today.

“Katherine,” He called.

“Yes Master Blake?”

“Get Luis something to eat, and drink. Then bring him to my study.” He ordered.

“Yes Master Blake.” Katherine spoke quietly and got up from the floor. She picked up the wooden bucket containing the dirty water and brushed off her dress. She looked down to the bottom of the staircase. The large stair case had taken her a while to get to, but now she at the bottom and standing next to the little boy called Luis.

"Katherine."

She looked up to his voice, still scanning for dirt and responded. "Yes Master Blake?"

"I will be having three guests today, they will have lunch here, and I was wondering if you could you serve us lunch?”

The word serve scared her; it reminded her of her old home. She ignored the bile rising up in her throat and nodded, as he wanted. He grinned, almost as if it was a favour to him and looked at the afternoon sky.  She was curious to know, if there were other servants, would he treat other members of staff the same as her? She had sometimes wanted to ask, with moments like these, why did he only have her, but she looked at his face and decided against it.