[Chapter Forty]

Chapter Forty

Lunch passes quickly and then Archer comes to collect me to take me to the rehearsal venue. I'm pooped from shopping, but the driving time to the venue and coffee gives me a boost of energy that I need to keep going.

Just like the first day, we pull up in front of the back entrance with the muscly body guards standing out the front of the large black metal doors.

"I thought you might need this." Archer reaches to the passenger seat to pick up a plastic bag.

As I take it from his grasp, I ask, "What's in it?"

There's a neat pile of clothing sitting in the bottom of the bag, the kind of clothing Sienna would be wearing out in public. I would look a little weird if I showed up in this.

"Ava sent them."

"Thanks." I nod my head.

"I'll be waiting outside." Archer climbs out the car and locks the doors. The windows are tinted, so people can't see inside the car. I strip out of my clothing and change into a high waisted maroon skirt and white crop top. To accompany the outfit is a blue denim jacket, a long sliver necklace with a cross and a pair of tan coloured ankle boots.

I don't remember packing these clothes, so I wonder if Ava brought them. Sitting on the edge of the seat is a small black leather case. I quickly open it up and grab my mask out. Instead of my usual white sparkly one my parents gifted to me, there's a black one in its place. It's fairly bigger and takes up more of my face. The fabric hugs my nose and flairs out across my cheeks and over my forehead. I just need some attachable ears and whiskers and I would have a kitty mask – that would be adorable too!

Before leaving the safe confinement of the car, I check over my reflection. I'm nervous about seeing Alex. His attitude this morning has put my stomach on edge. I'm still trying to decide if he's just having a bad day or if he's really like that to people. Maybe he's nervous about tonight's performance as well.

I get out of the car and find Archer leaning against it with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Ready?"

I nod my head and follow him through the back entrance. On the way to the stage, we pass a lot of security and crew moving equipment inside to start setting up for the performance. There's a buzzing energy inside that's getting me excited about tonight.

When I recognise the hallway leading to the stage, I take off running to the right wing of the stage to see if I can spot him. Alex is already standing in the middle of the stage directing the show. He seems relaxed and calm now, I hope he stays like that.

But as his eyes catch my figure, his eye brows burry together and his lip points down in an angry pout. He knows I'm late.

"You're ten minutes late," he scolds.

"Sorry, I had to get changed," I whisper, shrugging my shoulders.

"Come on, we're already running behind." I walk over to Alex and stand next to him.

On the back centre section of the stage, there is a wide platform with stairs – it's the starting point to the first dance routine. On the right and left wings of the platform are sections for the band to play. And then the strip in front of it is free open space for other dance items and for me to move around when I sing without tripping into other people.

Knowing me, if I had to share space with the band, I would trip over chords or break one of their instruments. But then again, I make tripping over air a thing.

"Sienna," Alex suddenly yells.

"What?" I shout back.

"You keep zoning out and we have a lot to do." He crosses his arms across his chest, "Less since you arrived late," he snaps.

"Okay, what are we doing?" I ask, shaking off his rude comment. I'll hold my tongue, he's probably saying all of this under stress rather than rational proper thoughts.

"Practising the opening dance number, so get your butt up on the platform, the backup dancers will be out in a couple of minutes. I smile and nod my head, but when I have my back turned to him – I roll my eyes and shake my head. He needs to take a chill pill! Shouldn't I be the one on edge? I'm about to play my first ever concert to thousands of people. Drama queen, please!

For the next three hours, Alex somehow managed to secure a microphone of his own which meant he could shout orders out. Every tiny mistake I made meant we had to start from the beginning, and I mean every mistake. From every wrong note, not smiling enough and dancing out of time.

"That's enough practicing for today," he yells into the microphone. I can hear the dancers sign in relief.

I wipe my forearm across my upper lip to dry out the sweat there. I desperately need to run to my dressing room to fix my face. After the first five minutes of dancing, I started sweating and the mask just rubbed against it and irritated my face.

Following the rest of the dancers off stage, we walk down the hall that has the dressing rooms. My door is the first to come into view, so I wave to the girls as they walk past. Some of them say bye and wave. Once they are further down the hall, I slip into my room and slam the door shut and lock it.

I almost rip off my mask, but I see movement coming from the far side of the room. Jumping back, I press my hand against my chest, shocked.

"Sorry to scare you Sienna," Archer says, a guilty look appears on his face.

"You're fine now." On the right side of the room is a built in mirror with some of my make-up already spread out on top.

"Was there anything specific that you wanted?" I peel off my mask and chuck it on the table and grab the hand towel to wipe the sweat off my face. I catch my reflection in the mirror, a girl staring back at me with flushed cheeks and frizzy hair that's beginning to tangle. I turn from side to side to look at these clothes. I feel different in them.

Once before I swore I would never follow the conventions of fashion to fit in. Now I'm wearing short skirts and crop tops and pretending to be this person to please others. What kind of message am I sending to myself let alone others?

"Are you going back to the hotel or staying here?"

"I have a problem and I need your advice," I confess.

Archer shifts on his feet uncomfortably, "I could try and help."

"It's nothing bad." He laughs nervously and nods his head, "Riley was invited out for dinner, but I'm scared of blowing my cover. I'd really like to go because it would be nice to have dinner with my family before heading over here," I explain.

Archer rub his forehead as he thinks, "You're not due back to the venue until eight thirty, you could attend and still make it back to perform. I know a great restaurant that's only a ten minute drive from here."

"Thank you!" I rush over to Archer and tightly wrap my arms around his waist. He's hesitant, but soon enough he engulfs me in a hug. "Somehow you always know what to do," I mumble.

Tonight might just turn out into one of my best nights. The only real problem is if Alex decides to attend the dinner, will he recognize me without my mask?