Q&A

You Ask The Question. I Give The Answers!

Why does Riley's personality flip between Riley and Sienna so often? Is she bipolar? Please make her more shy and only have small stressed outbreaks here and there!

The book is inspired by Monarch Mind Programing. Ever watched Paramore's Brick by Boring Brick or even Katy Perry's Wide Awake videos? If not, I strongly suggest you do since they are amazing music video's that also inspired the theme of this book and my love for the 'other side of the music industry'.

Riley starts using the mask because she doesn't like the look of her face when she sings, but also because she was afraid to sing in front of others in case she sounded bad. (Looks at low self-esteem), and then as she starts to wear the mask it looks at self-identity (who are you vs who people say you are), which eventually progresses to a sign of control. Her behaviour flips when she's called Sienna by the people around her which indicates control over her.

In the state of mind programming, the victim will often create a second self or an alter ego which they use as a coping mechanism. Riley is herself, with Sienna falling in line as her alter ego. The alter ego will have a flip opposite set of belief systems hence the fact Riley is very shy and low in confidence, but Sienna is used for her confidence and show persona to wiz everyone. Riley's also alternative while Sienna is very pop and glamourous. Riley will often make comments about drawing on Sienna to help her get through things etc.

Take Nicki and Roman Zolanski as example: 'Sometimes if it's really early in the morning, Roman get's cranky and doesn't want to get out of bed. Roman...wants to stay out all night and not wake up so I send Nicki into the world.' And you could even use Eminem's 'Slim Shady' as another example.

As the story progresses, it looks at how the record label controls their clients into doing what they want them to do for money and fame etc. Alex has a few things to say about it, but it's not entirely unleashed until the second book, hence the entitlement of 'The Masked Truth'

Another influential factor from Monarch Mind Programing is the 'handler' in which is supposed to be the 'slaves' saviour, the person who's going to lead them through the trouble. The book has looked at a few possible characters as Sienna's 'handlers.' Ava takes on the role of her career, organising her schedule, Alex who was employed to help Sienna guide her through the music industry, and the record label that hold the contract and the ability to manipulate people (Alex and Ava).

The mask ultimately becomes an iconic image in the world. Where the record label has the opportunity to swap and change the girl under the mask -> hint, the masked DECEPTION. This concept is funny enough, now shown through Sia and her blonde wig which she often places on Maddie Ziegler in music videos and live performances.

Why does Riley keep going between Alex and Nathan?

Riley flips between the two as she struggles to find herself. Alex represents her new life, while Nathan shows Riley her older lifestyle which is why she's always torn between the two.

What inspired you to create a story this complicated?

I wanted to say a lot about different things about the world, that as I started writing it mushed out to be the way it was. When I was writing this story, I was facing a lot of things personally, which ended up being translated into the story. There was the issue of graduating and leaving school (going to a 'new world'), issues about self-identity, problems with my father, hearing how people viewed me and coming to terms with what they'd said, or course my obsession of the music industry and the concept of fame, showing the 'other side' of fame and how it can affect people (where she went was a contributing factor later on when I edited), then Monarch Mind Programing which I'd been researching since I saw the music video by Paramore back in 2012.

Who does she end up with?

In the first book, Nathan walks out and leaves her so Riley chooses Alex.

Is this book published?

It's not published, but if you'd like to see it on bookshelves, please remember to vote, comment, share etc. Your support means the world to me!

Have A Question? Ask Below!