Chapter Six

I woke up the a loud bang at my window. Startled, I sat up and after adjusting to being awake, I walked over to my window and pulled back the curtain. Standing down on the grass outside was Lorna. She was holding a handful of stones in one hand and smiling at me. I opened the window and leaned out.

     "Are you serious?"

     "Oh, hey." She said brightly.

     "Lorna, it’s like 2 in the morning. What are you doing?"

     "Wanna come for a walk?"

     "It’s 2 in the morning…."

     "Yes. You mentioned that already. Put a shirt on and come down!"

     I stared at her in disbelief. Was anything too abnormal for her? “Lorna, this is ridiculous. Go home!”

     "I came to see you and this is how you treat me? Oh." Lorna replied, faking sadness.

     I sighed. “How cold is it out there?”

     She shrugged. “Not bad.”

     "You’re wearing a coat."

     "Well, yes…"

     "God, why am I doing this?" I sighed.

     Lorna grinned. “YAY!”

     I ducked back inside and got changed into my warmest clothes before sneaking downstairs and meeting Lorna outside. She was standing by the door, grinning madly like she was wide awake. I rubbed my eyes and yawned. “Hello.”

     "Hi. Nice of you to join me."

     "You’re insane you know that?"

     She winked and started walking down my driveway. Then it clicked.

     "Wait, how did you know where I lived?" I asked.

     Lorna turned around and looked at me and then laughed. “I have my ways…”

     "Did you follow me home or something?"

     "Maybe."

     I shrugged, not bothering to fuss about it and I caught up with her, walking at her pace. “So, where are we going?”

     "Well, I was going to go to the beach, but we already did that so how about town?"

     "Are you not understanding what time it is? We can’t go walking around town! We’ll get eaten!" I cried.

     "You are so paranoid. We’ll be fine." Lorna said.

     "No. I thought we’d just walk around the street or something. You are literally insane. This is crazy-"

     "Calm down!"

     I took a deep breath and calmed down.

     Lorna laughed at me. “We’ll be fine okay? I promise I won’t let anything hurt you.”

     "Oh. Ha ha."

     She smiled and turned down the main street that lead to town. The street lights created a bright glow on us as we walked and the night life was pretty much silent except for the faint sound of car engines as they drove past. I looked over at Lorna.

     "Why did you come out here? Really. Don’t tell me it was because you wanted to walk with me or because you couldn’t sleep."

     She blew some air out of her mouth, watching as her breath stayed in the air for a few seconds before evaporating. “I had a fight with my mom.”