Chapter Fourteen

"Young man."

I felt a soft nudge on my arm and I slowly opened my eyes. My neck felt all stiff and I groaned before looking at the receptionist in front of me. She was quite young and had dirty blonde hair that was tied up into a tight bun. Glasses were perched on the end of her nose and she stood back up straight.

"Young man, I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave." She said softly.

I sat up and stretched. “What’s the time?” I asked her.

"It is 5:00 pm, sir."

My eyes widened in alert. How did it get so late? I then realised where I was.

"Lorna!" I cried.

The receptionist took a step back. “Sorry?”

"My friend, I need to see her. Please." I begged.

"All visitors are not permitted, I’m sorry. Come back tomorrow-"

If one more fucking person said that to me, I swear I was going to lose it.

I took a few deep breaths. “Just please let me see her. Then I’ll go.” I told her.

"I’m sorry, but I can’t. I assure you she’s fine."

"You don’t know."

She was about to say something when I heard a door open and shoes squeak on the lino floor. I looked behind the receptionist and saw Noah leaning against the wall, taking several deep breaths. His hair was all dishevelled and messy and he was rubbing his temples, as if trying to calm himself down.

I had never been so happy to see Lorna’s brother before.

"NOAH!" I screamed, standing up and running over to him. I reached him and he looked up, startled. Then his eyes locked on mine and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Niall. Thank god."

"Where is she? Is she okay?" I asked in a panicked tone.

Noah just looked at me and then nodded. “She’s hanging in there.”

A huge, huge, sigh of relief left me and I found myself hugging Noah. At first, he was confused but hugged me back, leaning on me like he really needed me to support him. “I really need to sit down.” He laughed.

I pulled away from him. “Can I go see her?”

"Yeah! She’s awake and well. She’s been begging for you since the first test they did but mum wouldn’t allow it." Noah replied. "I’m off to get a coffee, you want one?"

"No thanks."

Noah handed me his pass and I gratefully took it, thanking him. I swiped it and the door opened and just as I was about to walk into the hall, Noah stopped me.

"Niall?"

I turned back around. “Yeah?”

Noah just smiled. “Just stay with her okay? I know this is hard but please, please don’t leave her. Not now.”

"I’m not going anywhere." I replied before running down the hall. I eventually found room 32A and burst through the door. Everyone turned to look at me as I came to a halt, panting heavily.

My eyes looked around the room. Lorna’s parents were standing talking to a few doctors and there was a nurse beside a bed.

And Lorna was lying in the bed.

She screamed with joy when she saw me. “Niall!”

I ran to her and smiled. “Hey.” I said, trying to keep my voice steady.