Chapter Ten

"Niall, what are you still doing up?" Mum asked me as she appeared at the office doorway. "Go to bed, love."

I ignored her and kept looking at the computer screen. I then looked at the book beside me, and then back at the computer. 

I heard mum sigh. “It’s late-“

"If chemotherapy on a patient fails, does it mean they’re going to die?" I asked mum, turning around. 

Mum leant against the door frame. “Well no, not necessarily. If the cancer isn’t that deep, you can do another test.”

I grinned. “Yes! This is great!”

"What’s this all about?"

I shut down the computer. “So Lorna just has to have another test done? She can still be treated? She can still live?” I cried hopefully.

Mum frowned. “Niall-“

I jumped off the chair. “SHE’S GOING TO LIVE! SHE’S GOING TO BE OKAY! I HAVE TO GO TELL HER!”

I pushed past her and she stopped me. “Niall, you don’t know that.”

"But you just said!"

"She’s been battling her cancer for five years, Niall…….I think it might be too deep to cure."

"But……..no……" I shook my head. "No, you just said."

"You need to prepare yourself-"

"NO!" I yelled. "You just said! You said she was going to be okay, you can’t go back now! DON’T LIE TO ME!" I screamed.

Mum held her hand over her mouth and looked away, like she was holding back tears. “Niall…..” She said in a cracked voice. “I know this is hard…”

I pushed her. “SHUT UP! YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING! Lorna is going to be okay! She’s going to be okay!” I cried, a few tears rolling down my cheek. “She’s going to be okay…..”

The more I said it, the more I believed it.

Lorna’s going to be okay.

"I need to go tell her." I said, pushing past mum and walking down the hall. It had been two hours since I arrived home, making it 2 am. But I needed to see Lorna. 

"Niall! You can’t! NIALL!"

"I NEED TO GO TELL HER!" I cried.

"You need to be prepared for her de-"

I slammed the front door as I walked out, cutting my mother off. The night air was freezing but I ran to Lorna’s house. Within half an hour I was there. I banged on the front door, not caring about who I woke up. Her whole family needed to hear this anyway. She was going to be okay! 

It took a few minutes before a light turned on inside and the door opened, revealing a tired looking Noah. 

"Niall?" He croaked.

"Can you please wake Lorna?" I asked, stepping inside.

Noah took a few seconds to process my entrance and then rubbed his eyes. “Niall, it’s like 2 in the morning…”

"Yes. I’m aware. I’ll just get Lorna myself…" I said, walking up the steps. I heard Noah protest but then he just fell silent.

"Whatever." He said before walking up the steps behind me and going back to his room.

I waltzed into Lorna’s room and turned on the light. “LORNA!” I yelled.

Lorna, who was sleeping peacefully in her bed, stirred and after a few seconds she groaned and sat up. “W-What?”