Chapter Nineteen

I woke up and found myself in my own bed. I sat up in confusion and looked around, wondering how I got here. I distinctly remembered Lorna and I being at the hill yesterday, then she stopped breathing in my arms and someone took her away from me. Then I collapsed to the floor.

My bedroom door opened and my mum entered, holding a tray with a glass of water and a plate of toast on it. She smiled warmly at me and set it down on my side table.

"You’re awake. That’s good. How’s your head?"

My head?

I reached up and felt it. There was a lump but it wasn’t sore. “It’s okay. How did I get here?” I asked her.

She sat down on my bed. “Somebody brought you to the hospital and they called me. You just hit your head hard and blacked out but the doctors said everything will be okay if you just take things easy. Take those pills.” Mum said, pointing to two red pills by my glass of water. “They’ll help.”

"Is Lorna okay?" I asked.

She frowned. “Honey……about that…”

"What’s wrong with her? Did she live? What’s wrong?"

"She’s fine. She had another body shut down, but I’m afraid you aren’t allowed to see her."

I just looked at her. “What?”

"Take your pills, love." Mum said, patting my knees and standing up.

"Why can’t I see her?" I cried.

"She needs to rest."

"So? I won’t be noisy."

"Niall, you can’t see her anymore. I’m sorry but you just can’t." Mum said sternly.

I didn’t understand. Mum left the room and as soon as she had, I jumped out of bed. I put on my jeans and a fresh polo shirt and ran downstairs. Mum turned and looked at me. “Niall! Don’t go!”

I ignored her and stuffed my feet into my shoes before opening up the front door.

"Niall! Niall-"

I ran all the way to the hospital.

When I arrived outside Lorna’s room, Noah stopped me. There was sadness in his eyes and he just looked at me. “Hey, Niall.”

"How’s Lorna?" I asked him, trying to push past him. "Can I see her?"

His gaze fell to the floor. “Um, well, she’s okay. But you can’t see her.”

"Why not?" I cried, demanding an actual answer as to why I couldn’t see her. If my mum didn’t give it to me, Noah had to.

He looked back up at me. “She’s only just alive, Niall.”

My heart started hammering in my chest. “Can I please see-“

"She could of died. So easily." Noah said. "Because of you."

The words hit me hard like a bullet to the chest and I just stared at him in disbelief. He looked like one of those people who broke bad news to people, but wish they didn’t have to. He bit the inside of his lip.

"I’m really sorry, but we’ve all decided that it would be best if you stayed away from Lorna from now on."

"But you can’t do that! You can’t blame me for this! It wasn’t my fault!"

"You took her outside!" He shouted back. A very light shout though.

"And I don’t regret anything. Noah, you weren’t there okay. You didn’t see the look in her eyes as soon as she set foot outside. For that hour I had my Lorna back. The girl who was fearless and laughed like an angel and sang with such tune that even birds would stop to sing. For that hour, Lorna wasn’t locked up in here like some fucking prisoner. She was free and she was happy. You didn’t see her face, and if you did, you would of done the same thing I did because she was just so happy. You can’t blame me for that." I snapped.