Chapter Eighteen

"Okay, we're going to have to go down there." I said, pointing down the hallway as Lorna and I stood in her doorway, peering out. "There's reception desks on every floor, but there's also two exits."

Lorna just nodded.

"So we'll run out the back exit over there, which will lead us to a flight of stairs and then outside to the back of the hospital." I told her, mapping out the hospital layout in my mind. "But we will have to run." I said looking at her, knowing that she might find that hard.

"I might be a bit slow, but I can manage." Lorna said.

"Just tell me if you're getting tired, and I'll carry you."

Lorna laughed. "I'll be fine! But okay."

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it, she squeezed it back. "Okay, ready?"

Lorna took a deep breath. "We can do this." She said.

"One the count of three?"

She nodded.

"One..."

"Two...."

"Three!"

Lorna and I took off down the hall. At first she was a bit wobbly, but she managed to keep up pace with me as I ran. We reached the back door and I looked at her. "Feeling okay?"

She nodded and I opened the door. We slipped into the dark room that held the stairs and I looked down at all the rows of steps. "Want me to carry you down?"

"Hey! You two!" I heard a voice yell from in the hallway. "HEY!"

Without hesitation, I pulled Lorna down the steps with me and we flew down them, almost two at a time. I heard the door open above us and footsteps crash onto the metal steps. Lorna and I didn't look back until we were safely outside the hospital, standing in the staff carpark. We ran to the road and hid behind the building. I then asked Lorna if she was okay.

The look in her eyes was indescribable and she looked up at me, her chest rising up and down underneath her limp hospital gown she was still wearing. "That was so fun!" She yelled, throwing her hands up in the air. "I'm outside! I'm finally outside! I feel so free!"

I smiled, pleased that I had the Lorna I fell in love with back.

This was the Lorna I knew. The one that was fearless and that took life as it went. The one that lived a little each day and screamed in joy at everything. The one that was always so damn positive and happy. Not the one that was stuck in a hospital room, attached to life supports and eating measly food. Even outside in the shining sun, her bruises were faded and her hair was more lively.

"Let's go!" She cried, starting to walk past me. I had to laugh at the sight of her. Here was this sick looking girl in a hospital gown, walking down the streets at midday and not even caring. I quickly followed her and we walked to the park, ignoring the strange stares from people as we passed them.

We arrived at the park and walked up our hill. I had to carry Lorna up because she couldn't walk up it herself without feeling very sick and sore. I then sat her down on the top of the hill and when I sat down beside her, I heard her sigh.

"I miss it here." She said, looking out at the view we had seen many times before.

"It's not the same when you're not here." I told her.

She smiled and lay down, looking up at the clouds. "Remember the first time we came here?" She giggled.

I ran through the memory in my head.