The Recruitment (Piper)

Chapter 21: Piper POV

"Piper what did I tell you, no more stealing! This behavior has got to stop or I'm sending you to another school!" My dad yelled while Jane scurried around the room trying to calm him down.

I had never seen my dad this angry... ever. Of course he had no temper at all but still.

"Ok dad, can you just forget that this ever happened?" I whimpered.

Suddenly an odd expression crossed my dads face. He calmed down in a second, and seemed to forget that I had just stolen a few million dollars worth of shoes just for attention. Jane even had a blank expression, I've never seen that on her before.

"Sure sweetheart, it's forgotten." My dad smiled. Gods I hated how he just let everything go, opposite of most kids my age. "Are you all ready for school?" He asked.

"Ya." I said, slowly picking up my bag. I followed Jane out to the "car." Since I had to pretend to be poor, the car was basically a broke down piece of crap. Now I don't care much for appearances, but this was just embarrassing.

It took about 10 minutes to get to hell-I mean school. All the girls in my homeroom seemed to whisper a little bit more, and I had no trouble finding out why. There was a new kid in class, and from what I could tell from everyone, he was crazy hot. 

"Ok everyone sit down!" My teacher yelled, pretending to shoo us into our seats. "Attendance... it looks like everyones here. So today we have a new student, Percy Jackson. Percy please stand up." He said in a frightening monotone voice.

"Um... hi? I'm Percy." He said awkwardly with a small wave.

"Tell us a little about yourself." The teacher asked.

"Ok... My name is Percy Jackson, I'm twelve years old and I really really really like the color blue." He said, smiling straight at me the entire time.

The class was very annoying after that. He was your typical girls want, guys want to be dude. The only thing that kept me from hating him was the fact that he definitely wasn't perfect.

"Hey, what does this say?" Percy said tapping my shoulder. He pointed to some easy question in the textbook, and gave me a worried glance.

"It says 'If x=4y and y=3 then what is x?" I said. I gave him a confused look, silently asking why he was asking such a stupid question.

"I have blahblahblah." He mumbled, looking down.

"You have what?" I asked, not comprehending.

"Dyslexia, I have dyslexia." He said.

I looked down in shame, it was rude making an assumption like that and now I felt really bad. I mumbled an apology just as the bell rang.

"Ok class, do pages 10-11 for homework, have a good day!" The teacher yelled as everyone started to leave.

"I swear there is no homework in middle school, only elementary and high school." Percy piped up. I didn't know why he was still walking with me, he would most likely be picked up by some popular people, so it was cruel to get my hopes up.

"I know right, like you get packets in elementary and high school is just test after test!" He said enthusiastically. Maybe he could be a friend?