The Recruitment (Frank)

(AN: This is 3000+ freaking words! YOU'RE WELCOME)

Chapter 22: Frank POV

"So Panda, whatcha gonna do, hug me to death?" Mike Chang scoffed as I balled my hands into fists.

Ok, breathe in, breathe out. Count to three... no count to ten, it will last longer. I've hated Mike Chang, my stupid bully, for the last five years, but I couldn't stop him from bullying me due to our Grandmas being BFFs. That all added up to a whole bunch of drama that I did not need.

"Just leave me alone." I growled, slowly inching away from him.

"Not so fast, my Yiayia is forcing me to ask you to dinner, so you better come... or else." Mike sneered in my face.

This was the thing, Mike was such a suck up in front of adults, but behind their backs he was just a common bully. In my town, that was so common that there wasn't one decent, real kid that I had ever met. I mean come on, I'm 11, what do you mean you came up with a strategy that will make you seem like an angel when you are the physical embodiment of the devil?

"Whatever." I shrugged as I kept my head down. I really didn't need anything else right now, isn't depression enough for one person?

Mike just looked even angrier as he punched me in the face and stalked away. I put my hand to my cheek, and sure enough there was a fair amount of blood. I cupped my hands under the gash as I ran to the nearest public bathroom, hoping that nobody was in there.

"Crap, crap, crap." I muttered to myself as I held the paper towels over the wound. The blood soaked the paper in seconds, forcing me to use the entire roll before it stopped bleeding.

I looked in the mirror and started swearing like a sailor. There was a giant, purple bruise covering my entire cheekbone. How was I supposed to explain this to my grandma?

I began to pace the bathroom, trying to think of excuses for the bruise. Pigeon attack? No, too peckish. Lightning bolt? No, we didn't get storms here. Maybe slender man came during the day? Definitely not. I finally decided in saying that I fell off my bike, which was the most reasonable thing that I could think of.

I pulled up to my house on my bike, careful to sneak in the garage. I tried to be stealthy, but when you have as much baby fat as Russel from UP, it's kind of difficult.

"Fai, is that you?" I heard my Grandmother yell.

"Yes Grandma!" I yelled back, "Is there any ice in the fridge? I fell off my bike on my way back." I walked into the kitchen, careful not to show the severity of the problem.

"You idiot, why can't you just stop being so dam clumsy?" She frowned as she looked me up and down, assessing my injuries.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled as I got the ice out of the fridge, slowly applying it to my face. I started thinking about Mike again, and why he had such a vendetta against me. He was the type of person who would brag about anything and everything. He obviously was insecure in his abilities and took that out on me, but what if he had an ulterior motive. Maybe he had something horrible happen to him, and is confiscating for it by being a common bully. Nah, that boy just hates my guts, and I would know.

Grandmother just rolled her eyes and went back to reading her real estate magazines. I think she may have a slight obsession. I smiled and shook my head as I headed up the stairs.

Wait.

"Um, Mike invited us to dinner tonight, so you don't have to cook." I mentioned quickly.