Runaway

The temperature changed from cold to warm as I opened the door into the school. Gerard stood beside me, ready to face the criticism together. He seemed anxious, his eyes gave it away.

Side by side, we slowly walked down the silent hallways. School hadn't started yet, so nobody was there but teachers and faculty. And the acceptation of me.

We started to go the way to get upstairs to Gerard's classroom. We passed a few teachers along the way.

Each and everyone of them looked disgusted with our presence.

"H-hello Ms. Willow," Gerard greeted the vice principal. She stopped dead in her tracks.

"Oh. Hi Mr. Way. You're back," she snapped at him.

"Yeah, I am," Gerard replied. He shoved his hands in his pockets. Ms. Willow stared at Gerard, burning holes in his eyes. He uncomfortably trembled.

"How... um.... great," she faked a smile and trotted away as fast as possible. Her heels tapped the floor.

"Well, I'm pretty sure everyone hates me," Gerard stated.

"You get used to it," I muttered back.

We went up the stairs and into his classroom. He slammed the door and threw his briefcase across the room. He slumped into his chair.

"What are the students going to think about me?" He cried. "What if they've lost respect for me along with the teachers?"

"You don't know what they'll think. For all you know, they may think of you the same as before," I tried to help him out, I know exactly what he feels. It hurts... A lot.

The bell rang. Students flooded the hallways, pushing and shoving.

"I gotta go. Good luck today," I said. I blew a kiss, and he blew one back.

When I walked down the hall to Mrs. Kogan's room, I could not help but eavesdrop on everybody's conversation.

It was all about me.

Hate flew into my ears. I could have burst into tears then and there. I couldn't take it. I cared too much.

Nobody was letting this go. And I don't know what was worse, the fact that who I'm dating is a teacher, or that everybody's a homophobe and dislikes the fact that I am gay.

Everybody thinks Gerard is a pedophile.

Rumors are supposedly going around that he is sexually abusive.

The world is sick.

***

Math was over. The whole time Mrs. Kogan, along with the whole class, gave me death glares. Eyes hovered over me the whole time. They acted as if I was a pshyco killer.

I snatched my books off the desk and ran as fast as I could manage to Gerard's classroom. I fling open the door only to catch a glimpse of Gerard nearly crying at his desk.

First period gave him a rough time, it was obvious.

As the class settled in, Gerard took attendance. Everybody stayed quiet.

"You guys know what to do. Frank, may I please see you in the hall for a second?" Gerard asked.

I got up and followed him out the door.

"Bet they're gonna make out out there," I heard Brian Abel say aloud. The whole class giggled.

When we got out, Gerard wouldn't let me speak. "I can't take it!" he whispered with rage. It startled me. "These kids have no respect. They cannot grow up and they can't stop making a big deal about something that does not apply to them!"

"How do you think we're gonna stop this? We're not! We just have to accept the fact that we are going to be treated like crap no matter what," I pleaded. "Society doesn't like us. We can't change that."

"I guess I'll just cope with it for the time being," Gerard said, calming down.

"Good. Let's go back inside," I asked. I opened the door for him and followed him in.

***

Friday night. Thank the lord, the week is over.

This was most likely the one of the most hectic weeks ever. I walked into school everyday in sheer terror, not knowing what was going to occur that day.

Or actually I did know what was going to happen. I was going to be hated and frowned upon, and that was that.

I changed into loose basketball shorts and an old gym shirt to get comfortable. I just needed to relax, that's all.

Tonight was going to be a pretty good night. Gerard ordered pizza and rented some movies from Redbox. He got horror movies, my favorite. They were his favorite genre of movie too, so that was perfect.

When Gerard inserted the movie and cuddled up under the blanket with me, I thought of something. Something magical.

Something perfect.

"Hey Gerard, I have an idea," I blurted out.

"What is it babe?"

My cheeks burned when he called me babe. I felt like I had melted into goop.

"We should get away. You know, go by a meadow and a creek or something. Somewhere where nobody can find us and nothing can bother us. Just to escape reality, you and I," I explained my idea as I grabbed his hand underneath the blanket.

"I think that's perfect, Frankie, I really need that," He smiled.

"I say we do it tomorrow. We can leave the house at maybe 10:00 and camp out," I replied.

"Sounds great. It's a date?" Gerard asked.

"It's a date," I confirmed. Gerard cupped my cheeks and kissed the top of my head. We curled up even closer to one another, and began to watch the movie.

***

(A/N) hello! so i am really happy with all of the nice feedback you are giving me. it really makes my day. im glad you are all taking a liking to the story.

xo

-laser candy