a short story ; rare letter

1:10 pm

• rare letter •

i sat there reading. ah, how the words in every book i've ever read have only been mixtures of 26 simple letters. all the same - yet different.

the library was my favorite place, quite, beautiful and it smelled good. it pumped with a wonderful urban feel that moved my heart every time i walked in.

as i continue to walk, my eyes practically stuck to the page on my book; i run into someone and drop the book.

apologies and mumbles of words pour out of my mouth like a waterfall and onto the floor, splashing everywhere as i bend down to get my book, but my head bumps into another.

"it's fine" said a deep voice, then came his joyful laughter as we both fell back. i chuckled softly and held my forehead from the slight pain.

"s-sorry" i apologize once again.

"are you okay?" the boy helps me up and once we are standing, i look at him. god, a big mistake. he held his hand against his forehead as well, but brought it down when he looked at me.

he had dark brown hair that hung over his eyes with vibrant blizzard blue eyes that made me freeze instantly - they were hidden behind his big glasses to keep to cold in. he was tall, much taller than me and his jawline moves slightly as he rose an eyebrow.

"o-oh..yea, i'm okay." i stutter out.

i clench my sweaty hands into fists, a habit of mine when i'm nervous - except this time, i don't have a book in my hand.

my eyes look up at the boy, who was reading the cover. "Milk & Honey by Rupi Kaur" he states with his deep voice that sent a chill down my spine. "is it good?" his eyes looked up at me for a split second and i felt heat rush to my plump cheeks from his icy stare.

"very, the poetry is astonishing. it moves me so much, it's-it's insane. i love the way she writes and expresses her feelings...this is the fourth time reading it an-" i stop myself, realizing i'm blabbering.

"don't stop, it's cute." he leaned against the bookshelf with a smile as he closed the poetry book and handed it to me - 26 lettered mixtures and all.

a dark crimson color hinted my cheeks as i smile sheepishly and take the book with a small thank you.

"s-so...may i b-borrow the book?" he chuckled and looked down, stuttering adorably.

"of course!" my smile gets wider by the second as we start walking to the front of the library.

the boys hair moves slightly as i hand him the book. "when you finish, just put it at the front desk and say it's for y/n"

he nods, some of his hair falling over his thick glasses with a small smile as he leaves with the book. i sigh and sit down at one of the tables, thinking about him. my mind was a tornado. how had i never seen this nerdy, book boy? a light shade of pink covers my face as i smile softly and close my eyes.

~

it had been a week, and again i was at the book store. "y/n!" the lady at the front desk calls. i get up quickly and walk fast-paced to the front of the huge library.

"yes, yes?!" i squeal with a huge smile.

"this book was brought in by a boy, said it was for you. he also said there was a message" Ms. Allison winked at me with a smirk and i sheepishly take the book and slowly walk away.

once i turn the corner - i run at lightening speed to the back, holding Milk and Honey close to me as my hair dances in the wind.

i plop down onto a bean bag and open the book, my eyes scanning the mixtures of words. i turn the pages until a small piece of paper comes out.

'out of all these poems that are just mixtures of the simple and ordinary 26 letters - you are the rarest letter i've ever seen, the one and only. the special one that no book has ever used. keep that in mind the next time you read'

i smile softly at the poem, tears filling my eyes a bit and i hold the wonderful book close to me. i'm the 27th letter - the rare letter, the special one.

his special one.