Chapter Thirty-One

Heya, 

I know, I know it's been ages since my last update! As I broadcasted earlier, my computer's hard disk pretty much crashed. Which meant that for nearly a week I was very worried I'd lost ALL my files! Luckily I was smart enough to make back ups of everything :D

This is the first in a double update! To make it up to all of you. 

Enjoy, comment and please don't hesitate to tell me if I left in too much details for this to be PG-13. The restricted part of this chapter can be read in the link posted on the side. Or you can find it if you go to my profile, my works and then click on the 'book' Thicker than Blood Restricted Chapters. 

This is the  link: http://www.wattpad.com/3963446-thicker-than-blood-restricted-chapters-chapter

Lot's of love!

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------

[31]

I spend all afternoon with Hayden sprawled out across the bed in my bedroom. Watching Disney movies and goofing around with him the way we sometimes did. It was nice to get a break from all the bad things of the past few days and relax.

But that all ended when Hayden turned his eyes on me with a very serious look on his face. He'd been a little more quiet at the end of the last movie we'd watched and now I could see that there was something he wanted to talk about.

I smiled encouragingly, wanting to show him that I was there for him and would not judge him for anything he had to say.

'Amy... Our father he, you know he came to me every night before. Before Nathaniel?' he said with a small voice that sounded more mature somehow than when he usually talked.

I nodded, 'Yes why didn't you tell me Giant? You could have stayed in my room every night had I known! Did he threaten you if you told someone?'

He nodded, 'Yes it was our little secret he said... He always wanted me to do things. Things I didn't want but he was stronger than just the boogeyman that you always scared away for me.'

I remembered the boogeyman Hayden always used to worry about when we were younger... Especially the one incident where I'd found that feather from Tlanextic. Had our actual father been in the room at that time? Had I nearly had a brush with the Demon?

Why didn't our grandfather protect Hayden when he did protect me? It didn't make sense to me.

'Our daddy he... He said I was special and that I'd make him proud one day, he said I was really talented Amel. He said I could do something no Demon had been able to for hundreds of years and he always made me practice, I hated practice with him. He made me hurt people!'

I tried to stifle my gasp but he still heard, 'I didn't want to hurt anyone Ame... You know that right? It hurts ME to hurt people, I always feel everyone's hurt.'

'Oh Hayden...' I tugged him into an embrace tightly. Poor boy! No wonder he was always so desperate to ease people's minds and pains. If he really felt them himself as if they were his own... How could he live with it? No wonder he didn't like interacting much with other people!

'You are not... Upset with me?' Hayden asked me timidly after a while.

'Of course not! I know you'd never hurt someone on purpose just for fun... You're a good kid and my baby brother. I love you no matter what, I'll make sure that Demon can never again come near you alright?'

'I know Ams, he won't come here with Nathaniel around, I think he's frightened of him,' Hayden said sounding happy all of a sudden. 'He showed up at school right after we moved in and I could tell... He said he was going away because he didn't want Nathaniel to find him.'